Continuous Shooting with a Canon EOS

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Continuous Shooting with a Canon EOS

Postby cedsel01 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi, I'm new here and have a question, in part from several of the astrophotography posts I have seen, both here and elsewhere.

I recently got a telescope and am waiting for an imaging camera. Meanwhile, I want to improve my camera (DSLR) use as well. Mostly I have wide angle stars and moon pics, but want to try to capture more images (especially galaxies and planets). I intend to use a stacker for pictures, varying the exposure from short (>1 sec) to long (30secs). Many articles state - "...put the shutter in continuous shoot mode...." (Including the SAN 2016 Yearbook!), however, my EOS has 2 forms; 6.5fps and 3 fps, so much shorter than the exposures I was planning on using. I don't want to spend all night pressing the shutter several (possibly hundreds) of times - so what's the trick? I know I can use Live View, but don't always want to carry a laptop, power supply, cables, telescope, batteries, more cables, etc., everywhere!

Thanks for any help offered.

I will look to post images as I take and process them
cedsel01

Re: Continuous Shooting with a Canon EOS

Postby dave.b » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:12 am

What they at getting at, I guess, is that with the camera in continuous shoot mode a remote trigger release button can be held and the camera will take successive shots for you. Chose the continuous shutter mode that suites your needs as there will be a trade off between the two modes. The faster one probably works with a lower resolution or smaller frame size.

There are many ways of controlling your camera with apps on smart devices and PC's. You can also enhance the feature set of the camera with Magic Lantern. This includes exposures over the 30s limit, an intervalometer, and even the ability to execute your own camera control scripts and all with just the camera.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby cedsel01 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Thanks Dave B,

I guess this means a remote trigger is needed. thanks also for the mote re apps. I don't have wifi/Bluetooth on the camera, but do have LiveView. I'll start off home-based and see what sort of output quality I get before exploring too far with new equipment.

Happy New Year!

Colin
cedsel01

Postby dave.b » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:07 pm

You have to use a USB cable to connect the camera to your PC or tablet/phone. It's a bit of a pain as it has a habit of falling out at critical moments, so you end up taping up both ends. I have seen some postings about the use of USB wireless senders, but haven't tried any.

I came across this article earlier today, which might be of interest: http://www.britastro.org/projectalcock/ ... graphy.htm

I'm currently using MagicLantern and a wireless shutter release. See http://www.magiclantern.fm/.

Dave B.
dave.b

Return to Equipment Advice