Coronada BinoMite White Light Bins

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Coronada BinoMite White Light Bins

Postby qu54856bo » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:53 pm

This is a question I buried in another thread so just to give it another airing as a sep post in case anybody has experience of these.

I wonder if anyone has experience of
Coronado BinoMite White Light 10 X 25 Binoculars
for viewing solar activity?
Telescope house sell them - see link below.
Looks like they'd be great for eclipses (eg 29th March partial!)

[url=http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerid=24225w9xWBUndKX5ROYARug7pGkcJkMY&action=lnk]http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerid=24225w9xWBUndKX5ROYARug7pGkcJkMY&action=lnk[/url]
qu54856bo

RE: Coronada BinoMite White Light Bins

Postby skywatcher1 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:33 pm

Boy and what an expensive option!, no thank you.

my advice would be to buy a sheet of Baarder film £12 and convert a standard pair of bins, say the 10x50 £15 Mead.

All instructions come with this film.

JR
skywatcher1

Postby tonys » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:46 pm

I bought a pair of these in time for the November partial eclipse and they worked very well. Sunspots can be seen but there doesn't seems to be 2 many of them at the moment, I think we are at a solar minimum in the sunspot cycle. At 10 x magnification the sun is still quite small so maybe only larger sunspots can be seen. Although more expensive, the 12x60s may be better.

As Skywatcher1 says baarder film is a cheaper option, although having serious eye problems I chose to go for what I think is a safer option, especially if you plan to use them alot.

I know other shops stock them, so if you have one local go and try them out if we ever get another sunny day.
tonys

Postby sftonkin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:43 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: TonyS

As Skywatcher1 says baarder film is a cheaper option, although having serious eye problems I chose to go for what I think is a safer option, especially if you plan to use them alot. [/quote]

In what way is Baader Astro-Solar film unsafe?
sftonkin

Postby tonys » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:40 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: sftonkin

In what way is Baader Astro-Solar film unsafe?

[/quote]

Never meant to suggest that baader film was unsafe, only that I felt safer using a product custom made for the job and not adapted at home by me.

Regards
tonys

Postby qu54856bo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:36 am

Thanks Guys

They may be relatively costly but very portable and a way of solar viewing at any time any where. Interesting to note the sun is small when viewed through the mini's - the larger version are definitely out of my price range. Thinking about it...

Auray
qu54856bo

Return to General