Cover for Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Cover for Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT

Postby donside » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:39 pm

I bought a Nexstar 127 recently and although I have a dry shed, I'm worried about storage. Has anybody got any ideas about covering it up from condensation in a shed? I wondered if I might have to leave the mount in the shed and take the scope back to the house each time I use it. Thanks guys. :)
donside

Re: Cover for Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT

Postby dave.b » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Firstly, consider the security of your shed!

Secondly, so long as the OTA is sealed then it should be OK.

Thirdly, the best cover is something insulated to prevent it becoming colder than everything else and hence becoming covered in condensation.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby Aratus » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:33 pm

Consider Security - absolutely! V. good advice. If burglars are about, then sheds are pretty high up on their list. Lock doors and windows, and get a suitable alarm.

For a cheap solution an old sheet will do. It will keep the dust off it.
A bath towel will keep moisture off too, but change it if it starts to get damp.

I have seen people use an old bubble-wrap bag of a suitable size quite effectively.

I currently keep my telescope covered in what is effectively a large shower-proof, draw-string camping bag. You could work out the dimensions and see if a local outdoor shop has one on offer.

I used to keep my 8" SCT indoors. No moisture problems and as secure as the house. (It looked impressive too :D ) The only problem was having to take it out and leave it for up to an hour before it cooled down to outside temperatures. :( A warm telescope gives wobbly images. :cry:
I am so pleased I don't have to do that any more.
Last edited by Aratus on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby donside » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:29 pm

Thank you both for your good advice. The scope is currently indoors because we seemed to have done away with cloudless skies!
donside

Postby Aratus » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:12 pm

The weather isn't looking good for while is it? A shame.

Condensation is a problem in any unheated room. My observatory is not immune. In fact in winter the concrete block supporting the pier is often colder than the air inside and that can cause condensation on the pier and metal parts of the telescope. I use a small dehumidifier to dry the air inside, and that works 99.9% of the time. As Dave said, you need to keep the tube sealed. If anyone keeps a refractor/SCT in an unheated room/shed/observatory etc they might consider making or buying a cap for the back of the telescope containing desiccant crystals. Even swapping eyepieces can introduce a little damp air, which will accumulate and stay in there.
Last edited by Aratus on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby dave.b » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:41 pm

I think you can buy desiccant filled caps. I'm at Astrofest 2016 tomorrow and will have a look for you. :-)

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby Aratus » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:39 pm

Some people have all the luck! I hope you have a good time. If you'd like to, consider doing a report on what you see etc. for those of us not so fortunate. :mrgreen:

I have an astro-engineering cap, which is pretty chunky, but it does the job. An old 35mm film cannister happens to be exactly the right size too.
Aratus

Postby dave.b » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:12 pm

OK, will do. Look out for my post.
I didn't see any desiccant filled caps, but I did see some "scope coats" that are made from the type of insulation find you put behind a radiator.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby Aratus » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:41 pm

I look forward to it!

1.25" desiccant caps are rare beasts. I bought one last year from 'First Light Optics'. It is pretty indestructible, made of aluminium. It is very chunky, and will also fit a 2" holder. The only thing is the price of £35. It took me a while to come around to paying that price, but it does the job perfectly.

Here it is on my telescope. (They come in black too, but I thought a bit of colour would be nice!) The red part unscrews to reveal a large chamber where you can pop in a couple of desiccant sachets. Alternatively it is easy enough to put a piece of kitchen paper against the holes and use some loose stuff. The loose crystals can easily be dried and used again.
Aratus

Return to Equipment Advice