Curious as to what I saw tonight

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Re: Curious as to what I saw tonight

Postby Aratus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:01 pm

A lot depends on why anyone should want to visit the earth. If they want to do it secretly, they've not done a very good job! If they want to make their presence known, they haven't done that very well either. If they wanted to destroy all human life it would very simple to do with advanced technology. (We are quite capable of it ourselves!) Why haven't they done it? If it is for scientific or anthropological purposes, they have broken the first rule of observation and affected their subjects (us) by their presence. Douglas Adams probably had the right idea when he suggested that UFOs were bored alien kids with nothing better to do than frighten isolated indiviuals, who no one will believe, just for a bit of fun! :lol:

As to your second point I think ordinary people might well think they are like stars, (try to explain the visual difference between a star and planet today) but I think their rapid movement, and predictabilty will lead to proper sky observers to come to the conclusion that they have more in common with the moon. They will see them coming and going out of the earth shadow which will also give them valuable data about the the nature of the earth. As to their origin, I imagine they will come to the same conclusion as they would regarding the moon and planets. (whatever that will be) :?:
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby david48 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:47 pm

You seem to be obsessed with aliens, and may I inform you that I am one too.

Can we get together sometime? I'd like to get your advice on how our future conquest of Earth can best be conducted.

Do you think that we should spray trillions of plant-seeds, which will sprout rapidly to produce gigantic hollow trees 800 feet high all over both hemispheres, encompassing deserts, temperate grasslands, and arctic tundra, thus smothering all human life.

Or is a more subtle approach called for, like making humans talk endlessly about the relative merits of telescopes and eyepieces, until they die of boredom?
david48

Postby Aratus » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Actually I never think of 'aliens' unless someone else brings up the subject!
There is no evidence that they exist. All the hype about 'earth like planets' is so much hogwash designed to get stir up interest and funding for research. UFOs are a psychological reaction to our basic insecurity. I will politely answer any questions that are put on the forums on peripheral matters if I think I could be helpful, but I would much rather discuss telescopes and observing. :D

You can assume that any action taken by aliens would be 100% effective, and we wouldn't stand a chance against them. If people feel they have enough time to think on such things, they are welcome to use their life as they wish. However, some of us feel that our remaining years could be better spent. :D
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby david48 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:39 pm

Aratus, your post is very interesting. I've mulled over it, and it confirms this conclusion:

That posters on here, are fellow "aliens". In this sense: We're concerned with an interesting subject - Astronomy.

But most people don't give a stuff about Astronomy. They want to watch TV , with its "Strictly Come Dancing", and "Great British Bake-Off", and "Coronation Street", and all the rest of the stupid programmes.

The people who watch these programmes, aren't like us. To them, aren't we aliens?
david48

Postby Aratus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:57 pm

I couldn't possibly comment !! :D
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:46 pm

I would speculate that it's 90% a satellite and 9.9999999999999% it's some sort of reflection.

Whilst I would also speculate that life is plentiful in the universe, I believe that interstellar travel, not to mention intergalactical travel is the stuff of science fiction.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Previous

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question