Switch to mobile style

D.S.L.R

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

D.S.L.R

Postby jackamar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 pm

iV'E Had my new skywatcher for a few days but not erected it as yet as we are having new heating put
in tuesday and got the house upside down mind you the weather up the creek,anyway i use nikon d.s.l.r
camera's has anyone as yet used a camera on the sky watcher 130 i need a t mount i think or any other
means if so let me no'

thanks Dj
jackamar

Re: D.S.L.R

Postby Aratus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:26 pm

The are 3 main ways of using a camera with a telescope. The first is to take the lens off the camera and the eyepiece off the telescope, and attach the camera body to the telescope tube. For this you need an adapter which slips into the telescope eyepiece holder on one side, and connects to the camera body on the other. This gives a bright, fairly wide angle shot

The second way is to leave the telescope as it is, and to project an image from the telescope directly on to the camera sensor having removed the camera lens.

The third way is to project the image from the telescope eyepiece through the lens of the camera. The foucussing of the camera and telescope being adjusted to get a sharp image.

The last 2 techniques give a magnified, but dim image, and can only be used for bright planets or the moon.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to General