Dark impact mark in Jupiters south polar region 19 July!

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Dark impact mark in Jupiters south polar region 19 July!

Postby keith g » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:43 pm

This just in all, Coutesy and Credit of Anthony Wesley, Murrumbateman, Australia at 1554UT 19 July today http://www.acquerra.com.au/astro/ObsReport/jupiter-impact.html Keith.. [/align] [/align]
keith g

RE: Dark impact mark in Jupiters south polar region 19 July!

Postby lancashire astroguy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 am

Have to say I'm a little sceptical that this is an impact mark. As far as I am aware (I may be wrong) no impact features have ever been seen on Jupiter other than the 1994 Shoemaker-Levy event. I would have thought an impactor large enough to produce this mark would have been spotted prior to impact.

If satellite shadows have been ruled out, could this just not be an unusually dark cloud feature? Have these observations been verified by others?

James
lancashire astroguy

Postby brianb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:30 am

[quote]I would have thought an impactor large enough to produce this mark would have been spotted prior to impact. [/quote]
A comet probably would have been spotted. A 1 Km asteroid, probably not.

The discovery images are most certainly not a satellite or shadow event. The resemblance to a fresh impact scar from SL9 is evident, even the ejecta plume is visible. And there are verified reports of a similar spot dating back 100 years ...

As for the reality of the current spot, I managed to image it this morning in appalling seeing, it's just barely visible in my image but it's definitely there. I was unable to see the impact scar visually, though Io's shadow (near the equator) was very easy.
2009 July 20, 0234 UT.
The "impact scar" is the faint smudge just above the lowest point on the image.

brianb

Postby aztecastromcj » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:43 pm

cool not had any decent skys here last few days hopefully get to see it when clouds dissapear
does seem bit strange no one seen impact
aztecastromcj

Return to Astro Alerts