deep sky imager

deep sky imager

Postby longjohnsilver » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:03 pm

i have just started to get to grips with my meade dsi which ive owned for over a year without ever realy trying it so because of the clear warm evenings i have been sitting in my back garden with my laptop and my scope and the dsi.and have to my surprise and pleasure produced a couple of deep sky pictures which i know are not particularly good by some peoples standards but for me who is an ageing old bugger,i am reasonably pleased with and think ive got the taste for more,ive posted m57 ring nebula on for people to laugh at.

[image]local://117/58EBC9F23C9B469EB6478168156B0209.jpg[/image]
longjohnsilver

RE: deep sky imager

Postby drvibe » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:20 am

Taking an image of something very faint is never to be laughed at, it has a steep learning curve which is exaggerated by using low end equipment (Which is what most of us have). Keep it up and enjoy yourself.
drvibe

Postby Chanctonbury » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:30 am

No one is going to laugh - The Ring Nebula is, strangely, not the easiest object to image as it is quite small with very delicate detail insude the ring itself. I have taken several images of it in the last year using two totally different kinds of camera and have not been satisfied with any of them!

Keep on imaging but beware, it can become an obsession .... [;)]
Chanctonbury

[Deleted]

Postby rsteadman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:56 pm

[Deleted by Admins]
rsteadman

Postby longjohnsilver » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:50 pm

yes the deep sky imager comes with intstructions on the supplied autostar suite disc which you need to print off,the first time i tried using the dsi i tried to operate the system from memory,this didnt work so i printed off the instructions and sat out with my laptop,my red torch,and my reading specs and went through the instuctions one by one and low and behold an image was obtained which i saved, after a few more attempts my images got a little better but there are some instructions i do not yet quite understand properly but i am learning,I started imaging at first using a phillips toucam this is considerably easier to use than the dsi and i advise you to start with one of those if you are new to imaging,they will produce superb images of the brighter objects in the night sky,hope this helps tony.
longjohnsilver

Postby jsc248 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:30 pm

Ha Ha Ha [u]NOT![/u]
Longjohn that is a very good image of a potentially very difficult target and I, for one, am very impressed with it. Very well captured! I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your images now, create your own album in the gallery to share them with the forum.
John
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Return to CCDs