Dew shield required

Dew shield required

Postby jonathan turner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:16 pm

I have a Skywatcher Startravel 150 and im looking for a replacement dew shield with the Skywatcher logo on.Ive been quoted £45 which is stupid for a piece of metal tube.Can anyone help as im having no luck with dealers.
jonathan turner

RE: Dew shield required

Postby brianb » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:30 pm

Make your own; craft foam is excellent, corrugated cardboard lined with black felt is good & if painted to keep the damp out will last for a while. Metal is actually the wrong material for dew caps, they need to be good insulators. And make it much longer than the commercial ones, they work better that way.
brianb

Postby jonathan turner » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi ion,yes i did find out about the time to ship it from China.Seems stupid to buy a scope and not get replacement parts.Imagine the same situation with cars.I did email a complaint and i heared nothing.I will stick with the old evostar one for now,i may paint it black.
jonathan turner

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:46 pm

As Brian said "make your own". It will cost almost nothing and will work better then the ones you get with your scope. Make it at least twice (3 times bigger is better) the size of your scope apeture. So whatever the diameter of the apeture is, make the shield at least twice (3 times bigger is better) that in length.
lukeskywatcher

Return to Wanted