digital camera

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

digital camera

Postby Steve Dean » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:06 pm

I have taken a fairly respectable image of the moon by hand-holding a digital camera against the 32mm eyepiece on my ETX90;
I note that Skyview Optics supplies a special mount for doing this to avoid camera-shake.
Does anyone have experience of using such a device?
Am I right in assuming that the best results will be achieved by setting the focus on the camera to infinity and holding it so that the front element of the camera lens is right up against the telescope eyepiece? (It's hard to assess the camera focus on an instrument that does not have through-the-lens focussing - it's a Nikon 'Coolpix' 5600)
Thanks (again!)
Chris
Steve Dean

RE: digital camera

Postby brian mac » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:26 pm

HI, i have taken picks like you, hand held, and got some good ones but it is much better if you get a gadget to hold it for you, there is somthing for even the little cheap cameras as well as the dear ones. You have to put your setting on auto, but first focus your scope with your eye then fit the camera after, after some practice you can experriment with different settings, trial and error is the norm. If your camera has no moving lens like my little one you can even tape it to your eyepiece, try anything once me!.......BRIAN
brian mac

Postby brian mac » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Brian again, i know use a fugifinepix and a screw to the camera eyepiece, i have 2, one is perpose made by bcf 1.25" the other is a moonfish 2", you also need rings and adapters, but if you want to go down that rout it is well worth it BRIAN
brian mac

Postby Steve Dean » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi Brian,
the gadget sounds like a good idea, then; I know they're quite cheap at around £15.
On the Nikon, it sounds like I can use the optical zoom to increase the image size - though, as usual, this is probably going to degrade the image somewhat.
These things always require a certain amount of 'hit and miss' so I'm bound to have fun playing around with it!
Best of all, with a digital camera there is almost no running cost and the results are instantaneous.
Thanks
Chris
Steve Dean

Postby jsc248 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:16 pm

Hi Chris,
I have taken a few photos by hand held camera. If your interested, the results are in the photo gallery under jsc248 photos. They are all taken in this way!
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby les » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:13 am

HI Chris,
I also have images in the photo gallery (members albums)using a Universal DigiScoping adapter for about £40 from Optical Vision Limited and a Concord 4340z 4 Megapixel camera.I would say its all the equipment you need for Moonshots.
Regards and clear skies Les.
les

Postby Steve Dean » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:56 pm

All very interesting!
I've just been experimenting - in broad daylight! - with different camera settings (to save me the bother in the dark!) and have come to the following conclusion:
(On my Nikon Coolpix 5600) I get the best field of view by setting my camera lens to its maximum (optical)-zoom in collaboration with eyepieces down to 15mm (Plossel);
I shall definitely acquire a digital-camera support (from Skyview Optics) as my hands could never be steady enough to do the job any justice at all.
Now looking forward to enough clear nights to do lots of experimenting (and general viewing, of course!).
Chris
Steve Dean

Return to Equipment Advice