Disappointing

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Disappointing

Postby Chewie2309 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:59 am

Hi now I know I’ve only have a couple of posts but I have noticed people don’t seem to be keen on answering questions and at my level I need all the help I can get example I introduced myself I’ve had thirty views not one reply so I started looking about and some member posted a question has had 2500 views and only 5/reply’s if I can’t get help on here where can I thanks for taking the time to read
Chewie2309

Re: Disappointing

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi Chewie,
We're a quiet forum, no doubt about that, and mostly UK based, so expecting a reply between 10pm and 7.30am may be a bit of an ask, particularly since your first real question was only posted 20 minutes before this one.
However, that said, let's see what we can do to help.
I'm surprised to read that the red dot seems to move when you move your head. Are you looking at the sky when you're doing this, or indoors? The way it's designed means it shouldn't move relative to the distant view.
As you're in Wigan, you might want to get in touch with the Bolton Astronomical Society, as I'm sure someone there will be able to give you hands-on advice.
Hope this helps, and I do hope you'll stay around.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Chewie2309 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks I regret my previous comment but I’m getting so frustrated and annoying I do apologise
Chewie2309

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Chewie2309 wrote:Thanks I regret my previous comment but I’m getting so frustrated and annoying I do apologise

No need to apologise, happy to have you on board :)

Let us know how you get on with the finder.

I'd suggest getting the scope itself centred on something distant like a tree top, aerial or street light, then using the adjustment screws on the finder to move the red dot to align on the target.

Are you managing with the GOTO, and the initial alignment of the scope itself? That might be tricky to describe in a forum post, particularly since I don't have the same scope.

If you've not managed to get the GOTO working, I'd suggest trying out the scope on the moon to start with, it's a big bright target, and you can try different eyepieces on it to see what differences you get.

Other targets you can then try are Venus (early evening, but not a lot to see) or Jupiter (later, towards midnight, worth spending time on!). Both of these are bright, and if your finder is aligned OK you should be able to get them in the eyepiece without having to use the GOTO.

Let us know how you get on, and we can then have a go at helping with aligning the scope so you can use the GOTO to find slightly less obvious targets.
Gfamily2

Postby Chewie2309 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi
What I am meaning is in the past I’ve done some shooting with rifles etc and when u use the telescopic scopes you rest your chin or side on the gun so your in the same position for each shot but with this you have nothing to rest on so every time you look through the finder the dot is in a different place depending on what angle your at it’s hard to explain in words I was just wondering if their is a way to position so that the red dot hits the same spot every time or am I being to precise thanks
Chewie2309

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Chewie2309 wrote:Hi
What I am meaning is in the past I’ve done some shooting with rifles etc and when u use the telescopic scopes you rest your chin or side on the gun so your in the same position for each shot but with this you have nothing to rest on so every time you look through the finder the dot is in a different place depending on what angle your at it’s hard to explain in words I was just wondering if their is a way to position so that the red dot hits the same spot every time or am I being to precise thanks

The red dot finder is a zero parallax device, so it shouldn't change its position against distant objects when you move your head.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dot_sight

If it is moving, it's possible that the curved semi-transparent 'window' at the far end has been been displaced a little - in theory it acts as a semi-silvered mirror that produces a virtual image of the red dot at infinity, so if it's been pushed out of shape the image may be nearer and therefore not 'zero parallax'.

Again - I suggest you find out when your nearest astronomical society is meeting and take your scope along so that you can ask if someone can walk you through setting it up - and they will probably be able to tell you if your Red Dot finder isn't working correctly
Gfamily2

Postby Chewie2309 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Ok thanks for all your help I’ll have a look when one of the society’s is on they should sort me out and once again I am sorry for my comments honestly it’s not me thanks
Chewie2309

Return to General