A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

RE: does anyone suffer from scope fever

Postby orbiter » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:50 pm

[:@] yes me 2, so much out there
orbiter

Postby deeds » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:40 pm

Hi longjohnsilver
I find that to begin with the pointing accuracy is always way out until I have selected at least 3 to 4 objects, fined tuned them in the eyepiece and the pressed the alignment button on the Starbook. After that I find it is generally ok.
Having said that I never 'very accurately' polar align to begin with - too impatient!
Do you think the Hilux coating to the mirrors makes a huge difference?
deeds

Postby longjohnsilver » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:30 pm

deeds thanks for your input on aligning with the star book an as for hilux or no hilux i suspect hat with two telescopes side by side one with and one without the observer probably could not tell much difference but if you could measure the light transfer from the hilux mirror there would be some improvement,also changeing the subject somewhat,does your star book ever display "TELESCOPE WILL REVERSE" whats that all about? cheers.
longjohnsilver

Postby les » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:30 pm

[:D]Re Redlester,with me it's Digital Radio's Ill soon have one for each room.
les

Postby cumbrianwolf » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:03 pm

If you find tracking a Little out have you collimated the polar scope? Yes i know this sounds strange but it can make a whole lot of difference to the polar alignment!
Its easy to do well almost easy.
just centre a target in the day time on the polar scopes cross hairs with the counter weight shaft facing straight down.Then adjust the three set screws while you rotate the DEC axis first clockwise until the shaft is horizontal and see how much the cross hair moves off target [b][i]only try to correct half the error[/i][/b] at any time then swing the shaft to the other side and make sure the shaft is on your right and horizontal again.
Do this until the cross hair is bang on centre of the object chosen and if no matter which way you swing it it does not deviate then its perfect.

If you need more info contact me.
cumbrianwolf

Previous

Return to General