does anyone suffer from scope fever

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

does anyone suffer from scope fever

Postby longjohnsilver » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:06 pm

does anyone out there suffer like me from reading the adverts in the astro mags and think that all the other scopes that are advertised will perform better than mine, so far i have got through four telescopes and have ended up with an otion optics spx250 on a goto mount but i still look at the ads and wonder if that other scope ive just read about will perform better?
longjohnsilver

RE: does anyone suffer from scope fever

Postby maz » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:36 am

Oh yes ... just a little bit !
maz

Postby nettie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:33 pm

Yip!!
nettie

Postby day_one » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:56 pm

haha [:D] so thats what u call it! 'scope fever' i've defo got it! I also think I've never got enough bits n bobs to go with my scope!!
day_one

Postby deeds » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:10 pm

You bet - I have gone through 6 scopes in under a year and also ended with an Orion Optics SPX300 (f5.3) which I have had for about 4 months - still i look at the 12 / 14 " meades etc and wonder if they are better.
What are you thoughts on 'The best scope for observing'.
I would love to find out what people think
deeds

Postby day_one » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:16 pm

Personally hehe, i wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of the keck telescopes from Hawaii!! there's 2 so I'm not being greedy! yeah sure they're better off together so I'll just have them both if they don't want to split the pair [:D] **wake up Jess**
day_one

Postby redlester » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:50 pm

This is not just applicable to telescopes! In my life I have suffered from camera fever, hi-fi fever, TV/Video/DVD fever etc etc... [;)]
redlester

Postby longjohnsilver » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:16 pm

what i find irritating about goto newtonians (spx 250/350 etc) is when you are slewing to an object sometimes the eyepiece position ends up under the tube and you need to be made of rubber to be able to look through your eyepiece and if you attempt to loosen the tube cradles and revolve the tube for a better position you lose alignment with short model cats and macs the eyepiece is always accessable no matter where you are slewing to, although ive never owned a big cat ive been told that they are very heavy that was the only thing that put me off getting one when i was in the market for a new scope. but i still read the mags and drool at the big cats and wonder would i have been better of buying one of those?
longjohnsilver

Postby deeds » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:53 pm

Yep - know what you mean with eyepiece positions. My back garden is mainly south facing so when I initially set my scope up (pointing to the pole star) the eyepiece is right on top of the tube which seems to work ok and avoids having to climb under the tube when slewing to an object.

Are the big cats too heavy to move by easily by hand?
deeds

Postby longjohnsilver » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:16 pm

hello deeds fellow spx owner i know this is moving away from the thread of "does anyone suffer etc" but i would be interesed in how you get on with pointing accuracy of your scope,my experience so far has been a little disappointing, i align the scope to polaris and set it up in the required horizontal position and start the aligment process and find that the scope slews to the approx position of the object and after centralising the object select align but i often find the next object is still well out of the field of view,as i own the f6.3 version my ota is about five and a half feet in length and often wonder whether the mount is up to moving such a long tube accurately enough,any thoughts?
longjohnsilver

Next

Return to General