Don't be shy!!!

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Don't be shy!!!

Postby gammalog » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:20 pm

I can't help being intrigued by the fact that the Forum now has 548 registered members, yet so few of them actually 'post' anything on the Forum.

A glance down the Members List, shows a sigificant number of people with zero 'posts', which somewhat defeats the objectives of the forum.

'Posts' on this forum can be few and far between, and when they do appear, its usually the same people that are making the effort.

I'm sure that we all join these forums because we have questions to ask, stories to tell, or just for the pleasure of sharing our experiences of the hobby with like minded people.

No question is too elementry to ask, everyone of us started in the hobby with little or no knowledge of the subject. So don't feel intimidated or shy, there's absolutely no reason to be so.

If we all sat quietly on the 'side-lines', there would be no 'activity and the forum would die.

Its your forum, help make it work.

Yeah, OK, I'll get down off my 'Soap Box' now, but its how I see it and so had to say it. If I've offended anybody, then that wasn't my intention, and I apologise.

If you want to throw 'bricks' at me now, that's fine.

Dave
gammalog

RE: Don't be shy!!!

Postby northerncross » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:26 pm

Couldn't agree more with you gammalog, and don't imagine you've offended anyone. Well said!

I digress a little 'cause I have a query - I want to change my 'user name' from Ali, but can't seem to find out how to do it. Anyone know how?

Regards
Ali
northerncross

Postby gammalog » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:43 pm

Thanks for your support Allison.

If you send a message to Kirsty in Admin, I'm sure that she will be able to assist with the username change.
gammalog

Postby gammalog » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:43 pm

Whoops, sorry Alison, I'll spell your name right from now on.

Dave
gammalog

Postby northerncross » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:16 pm

Gammalog

Don't worry about the name - I get called all sorts of weird & wonderful names!!!!!!
northerncross

Postby phill » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:33 pm

Hi gammalog,

Like Alison i am not at all offended by your comments which are perfectly true, however, being a total novice at both astronomy and using internet forums i feel i have little to contibute AT THE MOMENT but in time - who knows? In the meantime i read all the posts from you guys with experience and i am learning all the time, so don't feel that no one is interested or can't be bothered I'm sure there are many other members just like me.

Keep on posting

Phill
phill

Postby gammalog » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:56 pm

Hi Phil

Thank you for your valued input, and I fully appreciate what you say, and can understand your reluctance. However, I'm convinced that there are a great many members out there, that have questions that they'd like to ask, but refrain from asking, for fear of being ridiculed.

I can't imagine anyone on this forum taking that sort of approach towards a begginer/novice member. I see very knowledgable people on this forum regularly providing really sound advice and guidance to those seeking to learn, and taking great pleasure from doing so.

I'm sure that you will, in time, have many questions to ask and valuable contributions to make, and for one, I look forward to that.

I believe that the forum is about a lot more than just asking or answering questions. Is it not a place for the interchange of astronomy related experiences, ideas, thoughts or just social conversation.

The 'bottom line' is, out of 549 members (as I think it is now), the number of members activley participating is sadly very low. This could ultimately result in active member drifting away to more stimulating forums.

Dave

gammalog

Postby Chanctonbury » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:10 am

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this Dave. This forum is absolutely the right venue for a wide range of experiences to come together and we all had to start somewhere. It does seem a pity that there are so many silent members who I feel sure must have something to contribute to the group.

I would be very surprised if anyone was ridiculed on this forum for asking a question and if they were I suspect that they would receive an enormous amount of positive support to counteract such a response.

I have found astronomy forums generally to be populated with members only too happy to share any knowledge they may have with others and I see this forum as a particularly friendly one so ask away and if none of us know the answer immediately, we'll help you find one.

Now here's a question that I'll ask in layman's terms but I want a layman's answer that [b][color=#cc0066]doesn't[/color][/b] include the words [color=#cc0033][b]East[/b][/color] or [color=#cc0033][b]West[/b][/color]! :-

Assuming an equatorial mount is correctly polar aligned, the weights and the counter-balance shaft are pointing downwards and I am standing [color=#cc0033][b]behind[/b][/color] the mount facing North, if I reach over the mount and push the counterbalance shaft to my right will the RA setting circle increase or decrease in value?

I have asked this question now on four different forums and still not had a straight answer!!!
Chanctonbury

Postby sftonkin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:56 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: skywatcher

Assuming an equatorial mount is correctly polar aligned, the weights and the counter-balance shaft are pointing downwards and I am standing [color=#cc0033][b]behind[/b][/color] the mount facing North, if I reach over the mount and push the counterbalance shaft to my right will the RA setting circle increase or decrease in value?

I have asked this question now on four different forums and still not had a straight answer!!! 
[/quote]

If you push the CW to the right, you are rotating the polar axis anti-clockwise, you are decreasing RA. On most (if not all) modern mounts the RA pointer will move to show this. On some older GEMs, the reverse may happen (I only once had a GEM that did this), but that's because the way you use the setting circles in those (based on sidereal time) is slightly different to the much simpler way SCs are used nowaday.

I hope that's sufficiently straight for you.

If not, why not just try it and see?!?
sftonkin

Postby asterixhb » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:26 am

I agree with Stephen; imagine if you were facing due south and upwards towards the Celestial equator, as every star passes overhead from left to right, their respective RA is increasing. If you then slowly rotated in a cw direction, you would be overtaking the rotation of those stars, thus decreasing RA. That is effectively what you are doing to a (northerly) polar aligned equatorial by rotating it in the same direction. Hope this helps[image]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]. Futhermore, hope I'm right[image]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/micons/m12.gif[/image].

Regards Kev G
asterixhb

Next

Return to General