DSS Only One Frame

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

DSS Only One Frame

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:35 am

We've had some good clear skies over the last couple of nights in Kent. (I saw Mercury setting tonight (always a bit of a treat! (It will be at it's greatest eastern elongation in a few days.))) The new heated dew shield is working nicely. Visually the CGX is performing well now I can do a half decent polar alignment. I got some (poor!) images of M42 Thursday night after finally working out how to get a fits file to display colour! I imaged M45 and Alnitak in the hope of catching some nebular tonight but to no avail. One of the things that's not helping is Deep Sky Stacker not stacking fits files. I get the error message; Only one frame (out of x) will be stacked. And it tells me to check the star detection threshold.

Anyone had this error message? Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Regards

Graeme

Re: DSS Only One Frame

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:23 am

This thread from SGL suggests that focus or trailing can be a cause of failing to stack.
However, given the care you take with everything else, I'd expect your focus to be spot-on. So this may not help.
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/9557 ... k-1-frame/
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:... given the care you take with everything else, I'd expect your focus to be spot-on....

:lol:
I tend to take the charge in and learn from my mistakes approach. Thanks anyway!

You might well have hit the nail on the head with that link. After much practice I know how to polar align the CGX now but it's quite hard to get it spot on as it has a tendency to move as you re-tighten the bolts. An illuminated reticle eyepiece would help a lot too but I need to save up for one! So I still get some wandering.

Focusing is a bit tricky to get spot on because if I focus with an eye piece and swap it out for the camera then I need to refocus and the pc is in the garage and the focus knob is outside. I use the Sharpcap FWHM tool. A Bahtinov mask would help a lot too but I need to save up for one! (I see a theme developing here!)

Celestron have developed a focusing device for their SCTs,it looks good but it's £200!!! I'm not going to save up for one, I've bought a 12V geared motor and a two way variable speed controller from Ebay for £18. That's the next project for when the sky clouds up again.

Perhaps a more suitable target for a GPCAM290C on a 2350mm focal length telescope might be an idea. Any suggestions? Other than planetary, there aren't any for a while yet!

Regards

Graeme

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:06 am

I get the same error quite often but my shots are widefield and unguided. Sometimes they stack in MicroSoft ICE but the problem then becomes removing the noise.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

About Me: https://www.amazon.com/Philip-Pugh/e/B0034NTCJK

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to General