Dumbing down?

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Was the tug-of-war a needless waste of time?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 1

Dumbing down?

Postby dufflepod » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:30 pm

In the last TV episode there was an assinine tug-of-war to illustrate the effects of gravity over a star's lifecycle. This nonsense lasted one minute forty seconds - a sizeable slice of the programme's overall duration.

What a waste. I despair when I see more and more of this this idiocy creeping into science programmes. Did anyone think this segment was worthwihle?
dufflepod

Re: Dumbing down?

Postby MavericK75NL » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:15 am

I don't mind a little levity now and then. Just thought an arm-wrestling match would be a better analog to describe the situation.
MavericK75NL

Postby dufflepod » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:49 am

Only one reply. I guess it must just be me :-(
dufflepod

Postby Mithras » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:31 pm

I thought the same. I sort of knew that Sky at Night would switch to a dumbed down version of itself once Patrick wasn't in the hotseat. A little bit sad, since one thing Sky at Night never did was patronize its audience. No one watches it 'casually' or by accident, you watch it because you are interested. I guess many viewers, like me, have been watching for twenty years or more, since they were kids.

If it heads into Saturday morning kids TV territory, I'd have to switch off sadly.
Mithras

Postby prodigy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:51 pm

You're not the only one - I've watched this program for 20 odd years.
I loved what Patrick did - He will be rolling in his grave with this dumb brow beating rubbish.
It's time to switch off ... maybe it should be moved to children's hour. In fact! move all BBC programs to children's hour :roll: One small mercy is, at least it's not John Snow shouting at you whilst tapping on your head.
prodigy

Postby SkyWatcher17 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:36 pm

I haven't watched many recent episodes, but I do hope it doesn't go down the route of dummification! :shock:

And I've been watching it for decades too.
Sky-Watcher Explorer 130M, EQ5 Deluxe, AZ5 Deluxe, SkyMax 102mm, SkyMax 127mm, Orion/SW ST80s (both modified), Vixen Porta II/Vixen SXG Hal-130, Orion 90mm StarMax , Celestron NexStar Evolution 9.25", TS Optics/GSO: SVD series 150mm, f/6.
SkyWatcher17

Postby Supercooper » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:19 pm

Hi guys,
40 Years ago I was regularly writing to Patrick and reading everything I could find on telescopes, history of astronomy and astronomy in general, again and again. If it was a cloudy night I was reading and checking the sky every half hour - If it was clear I was out there with my 6" Newtonian (Old style f7) I have always watched SaN because it's proper science. I hope they don't start pandering to 'the public' like the ITV news science stories do! Give your audience some credit BBC!

Barry
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Return to General