Earthshine during a total eclipse of the Sun

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

RE: Earthshine during a total eclipse of the Sun

Postby jsc248 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:10 pm

Gregger and Starman,
After viewing all the pictures posted I have to congratulate both of you for capturing these stunning images. Well done to both of you.
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby les » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:40 am

HI All,
Fascinating images.I dident know Earthshine was visible during totality, is it brought out by extra exposure? I am surprised Ive never heard of it before.
Regards Les.
les

Postby Pete Lawrence » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:06 pm

Hi Les,

It's very visible but most images are exposed for the detail around the edge of the Sun during totality. My image is a composition of 4 frames - two longer exposures for the surface detail and two for the corona. I've not finished processing yet but I did notice one image that shows both the outer corona and a hint of surface detail in a single exposure. I'll post a link to my results when they are all done...
Pete Lawrence

Postby jsc248 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:23 pm

Sorry to butt in Peter but I'm looking forward to seein those results too.
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby Pete Lawrence » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:30 pm

Just as soon as I've written the Skyguide for the current editon of the magazine I'm working on (5 days in Turkey plays havoc with one's schedules [;)]), I'll finish my eclipse pictures off and post a link to them. In the meantime if you want to see some more eclipse stuff look out for tomorrow's Sky at Night (well - it's more or less tonight's really!) on BBC1 at 00:45 (Monday). It's repeated on BBC4 next Saturday at a more friendly hour. The best way to find out about repeats is to go here...

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/]http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/[/url]

...and type in "Sky at Night".
Pete Lawrence

Previous

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches