Switch to mobile style

East Devon turn all street lights off...

A place to discuss the dreaded orange glow

East Devon turn all street lights off...

Postby timelord52 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:56 am

I live in East Devon and since councils with cut back issues having had to save money a pleasant surprise was in store for me.
Every night approximately 01:30hrs every morning they turn off nearly 98% of the nasty horrible street lights!!! YAY!!!
As you can imagine I'm as happy as a pig in **** once everyone in the neighborhood goes to bed. It's truly magical being able to see so much more in the night sky (PITCH BLACK).
Well done to east Devon council for this common sense approach to saving money & power from burning these fossil fuels and helping this wonderful planet..
I hope that all other councils in the UK see sense as they have here. Preserving our night skies for us and future generations should be a priority for all concerned & in positions of responsibility......

Peace & Clear Skies to you all..

timelord52

RE: East Devon turn all street lights off...

Postby drechana » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:56 am

It will never happen in major towns and citys because of people paranoid about crime.
drechana

Postby philip pugh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:56 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: drechana

It will never happen in major towns and citys because of people paranoid about crime. 
[/quote]

As I understand it, a study showed that security lights had no effect on the crime level. Maybe if they saved electricity by switching lights off they could pay for more coppers on the beat. TBH, I sometimes worry about my safety while observing from my front garden. At least the beggars wouldn't see me if the lights were off.
philip pugh

Postby brianb » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 pm

[quote]As I understand it, a study showed that security lights had no effect on the crime level.[/quote]
Actually security lighting does have an effect .... if you switch them off, the criminals can't see what they're doing to break in. Connect to motion sensors so the lights come on when people move within the "protected area" so that security guards can see potential miscreants and you have an almost perfect system.

However, the main issue with security lighting remains bad installation - lights shining horizontally creating shadows in which criminals can operate rather than downwards actually illuminating people within the protected area, and not lighting up the surrounding area & spilling into the sky.

brianb

Postby bajr » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:50 pm

I can't remember the exact date, but at some point late next year the street lights here in Sheringham are being switched off between 12midnight and 5am.It's already fairly dark here(andromeda visible with averted vision) so bring it on! Or off actually[:D]
Brian
bajr

Postby wayner » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Well done East Devon! I've also read somewhere that Leicester is also switching off midnight-05:30, so I contacted my council (Newport, South Wales) and asked if they were looking at doing the same. They are, but only along the busy main roads not in the suburbs [:@]. I've suggested that they'd save more money if they switched ALL the lights off and the earlier the better [:D].
wayner

Postby st_tom » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Oh how I wish that would happen in ayr!
st_tom

Postby wilkibo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Hear, Hear!

Mike
wilkibo

Return to Light Pollution