EQ2 Motor Drive - Battery Pack Problem

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

EQ2 Motor Drive - Battery Pack Problem

Postby BROWN360 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi,

I just thought I would share this, in case anyone else comes across this particular issue.

I have been trying to use the motor drive on my EQ2 mount, but when plugging the battery pack into the motor controller, nothing happened - no led lights came on, no movement etc. It turns out that the wiring is the wrong way round on the battery pack, therefore if you reverse the batteries ie put the positive side to the negative symbol then it works fine. I'm not sure if this is just an issue with mine but it might help someone out there.

Cheers
Tom
BROWN360

Re: EQ2 Motor Drive - Battery Pack Problem

Postby Aratus » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:48 pm

That doesn't sound too good. Was this a battery pack designed for this telescope mount?
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby BROWN360 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:39 pm

It was the equipment that came with the motor drive (and telescope). I had left it in my garage for a while before trying to use it & thought moisture might have got to it, but I asked a friend who is an electrician & he spotted the problem. Must have slipped through quality control
BROWN360

Postby Aratus » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:19 am

That's putting it mildly!! That mistake could have seriously damaged your mount electronics :x . I wonder how many defective units are circulating? They ought to be recalled. Perhaps you could contact them and let them know. They should at least replace the unit. (It would be nice if they could find a way of keeping your 'good will' perhaps with a gift as well! I wouldn't hold my breath on that though.)
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:22 pm

BROWN360 wrote:It was the equipment that came with the motor drive (and telescope). I had left it in my garage for a while before trying to use it & thought moisture might have got to it, but I asked a friend who is an electrician & he spotted the problem. Must have slipped through quality control

You were lucky there, in that your mount had proper polarity protection. Was it simply a motor drive, or is it a GOTO system? It seems to be relatively common for fully computerised systems to have no polarity protection and there are lots of reports of people having to replace their main boards after getting the wiring mixed up.

All's well that ends well though!
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Return to Equipment Advice