Eskimo Nebula

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Eskimo Nebula

Postby Aratus » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Another planetary nebula. The 'Eskimo Nebula' (NGC 2392). This is in Gemini, which is coming into view later in the evening. Its only 10th magnitude, but it is clearly fuzzy, and blue. It isn't difficult to spot through a telescope.

Since it is so small, it is difficult to image any detail, but by using the highest resolution, and stacking 40 images I was able to get this.

This is 40 x 10sec image ISO3200 with the Canon. 12/11/2018
I use an 11" reflector (Celestron CPC 1100) and a 3" refractor, (Sky-Watcher ST80) mounted on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI 120MM, ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 1300D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Eskimo Nebula

Postby jeffwt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:27 am

WOW! Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
jeffwt

Postby Graeme1858 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:03 am

That's impressive, the Eskimo is tiny! Did you use a Barlow with the DSLR?

The colour difference between the nebular and the nearby star is striking in an Alberio kind of way!

Regards

Graeme

Postby Aratus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Graeme1858 wrote:That's impressive, the Eskimo is tiny! Did you use a Barlow with the DSLR?

The colour difference between the nebular and the nearby star is striking in an Alberio kind of way!

Regards

Graeme

The blue/green colour comes over with a 6" at least. It is surprising that it wasn't included in Messier's list, considering that it looks quite cometary.
'Eskimo' is about the same size as Jupiter appears in the eyepiece, so a Barlow would be helpful. I didn't use one on this occasion, but it might give a better image. 'Eskimo' will be around all winter, so there are plenty of opportunities. Planetary Nebulas have all the problems of a planet in that it is small, but none of the advantages of being bright. The problem is one of both focussing on an object you can't see 'live', and the dimness of the object which requires a long exposure.

Getting an image showing the 'fur' on the outside is a bit of a challenge, but some people have done it with quite modest equipment, and good focussing. It is amazing the think that the 'fur' is a light year thick!
I use an 11" reflector (Celestron CPC 1100) and a 3" refractor, (Sky-Watcher ST80) mounted on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI 120MM, ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 1300D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches