Every which way but up

A place to discuss the dreaded orange glow

Every which way but up

Postby lukeskywatcher » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:00 am

Last night i was out in my back garden between 10pm and 1:30am, perfecting (or rather.......trying to perfect) the setup of my camera for astrophotography. The house directly behind my house (my garden is approx 100ft long) has one of those silly motion detector security lights. Normally it is not much trouble because when it goes on it only stays on for about 5 mins and then goes off again. The boundry between both houses is marked by a row of evergreen trees (my trees) that are about 30-40ft tall. However there is one small gap in the trees and the light shines through...........lighting up my whole garden and house. Last night the neighbour left that light burning ALL night long. I know this because i went back outside at 5am and it was still on.

So i pretty much could not point my camera down my garden (E/SE) for any exposures longer then about 10 seconds.

My next door neighbour is currently suffering from a bout of insomnia (due to her husbands business going under due to the financial crisis), so she is up most nights with every light downstairs burning al night. This means that her whole garden is lit up all night, so i can not observe to my South. I dont mind this as i never had a good view to the south due to a motorway that lies a couple of miles south of my house. The sky to my south is always a horrible yellow/orange glow.

Still awake?

OK so the house directly across the street from my house also has one of those silly security lights. At night whenever it goes on, it illuminates every room in the front of my house as if it is braod day light (even though the curtains (double lined heavy thick curtains) in my house are closed. Lastnight that neighbour also decided to leave the blasted light burning all night which meant it was shining all the way across the street, all the way up my driveway and spilling over into my garden. They meant that i could not point my camera in a northerly direction for more then 20 seconds before LP became an issue.

From my garden i have almost no view west because my house is in the way.

So last night with all these lights to contend with it meant that the only direction that i could point my camera was straight up (90 degrees above my head). I was still fighting the light from the house behind but could manage exposures of 30s.

Long story short....................

In the past, i have spoken to the neighbour behind me and asked her if she would reposition her security light (to point downwards) as it interferes with my observing. I told her that by having it pointed straight out that is is actually wasting energy and is costing her more on her electricity bill. She was very understanding and thanked me for informing her that it was costing her MORE money by having it pointed in the wrong direction.

It seems she has once again positioned the light back to how she had it originally. I think i may have to have another chat with her.

The neighbour across the street (whose light is a thorn in my side) will also have to be given a friendly talking to, to ask her to lower her light and to NOT leave it on ALL night.

BTW....both of the afore mentioned lights are TOO bright. I am pretty sure they are burning 100W bulbs. I read somewherer that in Ireland, the max wattage allowed by law is something like 40-60W.

Would it be worth my while contacting the police and asking them about the legal stance on such lights?.

I am not talking about taking legal action of any kind with my neighbours on this issue. I just want to know if indeed there ARE any laws here governing these lights.

What is the situation in the UK? Can you report these lights to the police IF they incrouch onto your property/are a nuisance?. I know over here in Ireland there are noise pollution laws but i am not sure if there are any light pollution laws.
lukeskywatcher

RE: Every which way but up

Postby davsiste » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:10 pm

SIMPLE.

It is against the law for people to have their lights spoiling your home.

I know because I have had two houses and a vets who left three light on at night stopped.

The only exceptions are Railway and bus stations, hospitals and Airports, and even they must take into account the act when installing new lighting.

WRITE to the people then you have proof you have contacted them and something to hand to Environmental Health , it is nothing to do with the Police.

Since the "light polution act" goto

[url=http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/neighbourhood-nuisance/light-pollution/]http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/neighbourhood-nuisance/light-pollution/[/url]

Local authorities receiving complaints about artificial light in England and Wales can now assess whether light is a nuisance under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
davsiste

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks for the info davsiste. I'm sure the link will give me a better understanding of my rights etc.
lukeskywatcher

Postby pulsar » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Some good information here.

I also of course living in London have multiple problems with this issue.
My upstairs neighbour leaves thier hallway light on all night every night and as she is quite old I have'nt said anything to her yet. But my opposite neighbours are quite a problem no curtains and no lampshade just a glaring bulb. And another family here have the whole house lit up all night and they stare at me when I do get my scopes n bins out. I am sure they are doing it deliberately as they are either jealous or untrusting of me and my equipment. They probably think I am spying on thier sex lives but I have no interest in such matters apart from my own one (sex life) and trying to reach the maximum potential of my telescope in london is bad enough anyway without this added stress. I think I will take the advice offered here and take some form of action. Also it would be a good time to contact my local council about removing these blasted trees that also plague my life. They are 3 storey tall monsters and when the leaves return in spring forget anything but straight up observing. Really they ruined what chance and it was'nt much anyway of observing Jupiter this apparition. I can't even get Jupiter now because my own house is in the way. I will not allow Saturn to escape me though.
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

Postby davsiste » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:56 pm

You may also wish to check out

[url=http://www.darkskyscotland.org.uk/darksky.html]http://www.darkskyscotland.org.uk/darksky.html[/url]

NOT just for Scotland.

I personally consider most people these days as ignorant, sorry, you see I was always brought up NOt to slam doors, including front doors, you never know if the person next door is asleep, have the TV too loud, rev my car up at dawn, have a fire in the garden before dark, others may have windows open, never play music loud and so on.

I could never again live in anything where I have neighbours, sorry.

My nearest neighbours are 300 yards, I rent and live in a Cemetery, YES a Cemetery, or at least the lodge, its quiet and the neighbours don't complain.

Though I am next to a road, and there are street lights but at least I can't fall out with anyone.

Regards

Post script,

Other things that annoy grumpy old men like me are :-

People who insist on starting every sentence with "ya know" NO I DO NOT or say "ya know" every few words grrrrrrrrr, and "Basically" !!!, remove the work basically it is not needed, people who when you offer advice do not bother to say thank you (you did and that is appreciated), and people who refer to others as "mate" in texts, or can not communicate correctly for example yh, init, wot, aint it and so on.

Basically, ya know, I bet that stirs up a few hornets mate.

Sorry.
davsiste

Postby ok0510@126.com » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Before going down the formal route Paul, do try and have a friendly word with your neighbours. Most people(but not all unfortunately) are quite accomodating to their fellow neighbours(in my experience) and it may simply be that they are not aware or have forgotten that their lights are causing you a nuiscance. You can always take the formal action if your friendly request falls on deaf ears, but you could alienate your neighbours if you uneccessarily contact the environment agency, when a quick chat could have done.

Hope you get your LP probs sorted anyway [b]mate[:D][/b]
[b][/b]
Sorry davsiste I couldn't resist[:D]
ok0510@126.com

Postby davsiste » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:40 pm

Did I not say "WRITE to the people then you have proof"

Also I would not knock on peoples doors I do not know well, a polite note/letter yes, as many people will confirm that they have been met with verbal abuse and threats when commenting.

Couldn't resist what ?

People on the whole are selfish.

If neighbours "thought" about others or even cared they would not cause problems in the first instance.

I have security lights, all shine within my garden only.

If light polution was not a cause for concern there would not be a light poliution act.

Regards
davsiste

Postby ok0510@126.com » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:26 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: davsiste

Did I not say "WRITE to the people then you have proof"

Also I would not knock on peoples doors I do not know well, a polite note/letter yes, as many people will confirm that they have been met with verbal abuse and threats when commenting.

Couldn't resist what ?

People on the whole are selfish.

If neighbours "thought" about others or even cared they would not cause problems in the first instance.

I have security lights, all shine within my garden only.

If light polution was not a cause for concern there would not be a light poliution act.

Regards
[/quote] Ì couldn't resist typing [b]mate[/b] at the end of my post, was all I meant davsiste. I read your post and found the end part amusing, and thought I would attempt to join in with the fun. Forgive me if I have mis-interpreted your post.

Paul[:)]
ok0510@126.com

Postby davsiste » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:46 am

Gotcha, sorry I'm a little s l o w on the uptake sometimes, must be somethin g to do with my age.

regards
davsiste

Return to Light Pollution