eyepieces

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

eyepieces

Postby speedy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:13 am

Hi I'm new to astronomy since crhristmas but woundering what are good eyepiece to upgrade to and are the skywatcher sp plossls any good as I'm looking to upgrade slowly as I get better with astronomy i've seen a few things and can't wait to see more any help would be great full
speedy

Re: eyepieces

Postby dave.b » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:58 pm

Plossl eye pieces have a relatively narrow field of view, but are relatively cheap. You'll spend more to improve the field of view, the optical quality, and properties such as eye relief. Other considerations are the ability to mount accessories on threads hidden under the rubber eye shield. For example to mount a camera for afocal imaging.

I've gone down the Baader Hyperion route, which are currently about £90 each. The Celestron XCel range are also good at around £75 each, but lack the system capabilities of the Hyperions.

However, I also recommend buying a zoom eye piece, such as the Celestron 8-24mm for about £85, as you will have a lot of fun zooming in on objects whilst learning to use your telescope setup and deciding what accessory to buy next with your hard earned cash.

I can also recommend a visit to Astrofest at the start of February if you can get to London as there will be a good range of vendors goods to look at and talk with.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby speedy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi thanks for the advise I have just got bst stargiders eyepiece one 18 mm and one at 8 mm witch are in between the ones I have I've heard a lot of good reviews on them will let you know how I get on with them if the weather clears up for me to get out . Are there any more astronomy shows up in the north west area where venders meet up would like going to one of them and having a look
speedy

Postby dave.b » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 am

There was a show last October in the north west. I couldn't go as it clashed with something else. I know Astronomia were attending so have a look at their website to see if it's still listed under their events.

Dave B.
dave.b

Return to General