Favourite book!

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Favourite book!

Postby jsc248 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi Gang,
Gammalog started a thread about Stephen Hawkings books.
I'm putting in a little twist by asking what is your favourite book and why.
Mine, at the minute, is Futures by Patrick Moore and David Hardy. This is not a book full of astronomical knowledge but more a look to the future of space travel. It shows , with superb illustrations by David hardy, what conditions would be like on most of the objects in the Solar System and then moves on to further afield. A great book whatever your level of knowledge is.
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: Favourite book!

Postby les » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:00 pm

HI jsc248,
I have dozons of astro books but my favourite is my first first one.I got it as a present at Xmas 1972.It's 'What Star Is That' by Peter Lancaster Brown.It has great a layout with details of each constellations in alphabetical order by season.It has starcharts down to 6th magnitude, and Planet position table up to 1981! Its a bit dog eared now and starting to fall to bits.
All the best Les.
les

Postby albireo » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:46 pm

My favourite is Storm Dunlop's Atlas of the Night Sky which I use for reference. I find it's maps clear and easy to use. Obviously, I need the computer to print more detailed maps with the fainter stars, ideal when one is trying to find some elusive DSO. The program I have is Redshift. I also have a copy of an old book called A Field Guide to the Stars and Planets which had started me off on Astronomy many years ago.
albireo

Postby cookie » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:20 pm

Hello there,

On the subject of books (thanks Gammalog) I'm going through Phillip's Practical Astronomy (Storm Dunlop). As a complete beginner I decided to learn and navigate the night sky without the aid of any equipment and find the different paterns that the stars make, an then I want to start using my unassemble little telescope. I find this book a must for every beginner. I find it simple and easy to read and find my bearings.

Cookie M[:)]
cookie

Postby keithmorris » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:53 pm

My favourite (astornomical?) astronomy book is the Cambridge Star Atlas. It's clear and easy to follow and has great sky charts.
keithmorris

Postby Sir John Maguire » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:10 pm

[center]Yes I agree Cookie , the Dunlop book is excellent . Visited Cambridge recently and bought that plus " Stargazing with a telescope" by Scagell which is also great for beginners.[/center][center]Just now managed to get "Skywatching" by Levy on Amazon for £1.36. Reckon its a good buy altho its the 1995 version.[/center][center]Pete[/center]
Sir John Maguire

Postby jess » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:13 pm

I've not read many Astronomy books yet, but I do own one that I like a lot-- 'Visions of the Universe' by Dr Raman Prinja. I think it's a good read, has some great images and I've probably learnt quite a bit from it. 'Stardust' by John Gribbin also seems quite good, and though I'm not very far through, it seems pretty detailed and interesting (if a little confusing at times, haha).

I've been wondering for a while what books might be best for beginners too, so I'm really glad you mentioned those, Cookie and Peter. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for them... :).
jess

Postby gammalog » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:30 pm

Hi Jess

I have quite a collection of astronomy books, and the one that I would most recomend is:

"The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" by Terence Dickinson & Alan Dyer (ISBN No.1-55209--507-X).

It's an excellent all-round book book for both the beginner and more experienced amateur astronomer. The book is well written and presented and covers most all aspects of the hobby, from getting started to basic CCD imaging.

It's a book that you will return to time again as you get deeper into the hobby.

BTW, at around £25, not cheap.

Dave
gammalog

Postby jess » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:46 pm

Hi,

Thanks! I'll definitely look that up; I'm sure I could manage to get a one nearer the end of the month, and if not, there's always the local or college library to fall back on for a while. That's really helpful, thanks! (I'm a little confused by what CCD imaging is, though... I'll look it up, haha.) I think I might just have to write these down. :)

-Jess
jess

Postby paul j » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:10 pm

the first book i bought was 'Atlas of the Universe' by Sir Patrick moore, it's fantastic reading.
if i ever meet Sir Patrick i must ask him to sign it for me, it'd be great to tell him what a perfect job he did.

i started reading the Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy and a few of Stephen Hawkins books, i have them ( HHG2G and Hawkins) as Ebooks on my Ipaq but never seem to get round to carrying on reading them
paul j

Next

Return to General