Favourite constellation

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Favourite constellation

Postby big dipper » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:16 am

Out of the 88 constellations up there (many of which are not visible from the UK, of course), do you have a favourite.............and why?

Probably at the top of the list will come Orion. And had we been living in the southern hemisphere, no doubt Scorpius & Sagittarius would be near the top of the list. However my vote goes to Cygnus, the Swan. This constellation has majestic star fields which can even look impressive from a city sky (such as mine, here in Oxford). It is home to several clusters, the lovely double (blue & orange) 'star', Albireo (excuse spelling) - as well as hosting the great photographic target of the North American & Pelican nebulae. Amongst other treasures is the beautifully structured Veil complex (the eastern part, in particular, is a treat). This constellation also has the advantage of being on view when temperatures are a bit more comfortable.

So what other favourites are out there?..........
big dipper

RE: Favourite constellation

Postby big dipper » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:16 am

A shot I took of the aforementioned nebulae, the North American & Pelican, a few years ago on film.

[image]http://www.mackenzie1963.freeserve.co.uk/images/northamerican.jpg[/image]

Pity we can't see this colour with our own eyes! [:(]
big dipper

Postby damien » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:40 pm

Coming from the Southern Hemisphere - the view is somewhat different down here.

However, we can see Orion, my other favourites are the Southern Cross (Crux) and Scorpius
damien

Postby Samg246 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:13 pm

mmm probably Orion. It was the first one I can ever really remember recognising before I got interested in astronomy. And wow - what a belt ;-)
Samg246

Postby sonia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:13 pm

I have two favorites, cassiopeia probably as i can locate the Andromeda Galaxy easily, and the famous one, Orion because of the Nebula.

Andy did you get the issue with the North American Nebula Photo?
sonia

Postby grahammogford » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:53 pm

I have to agree with Mr Dipper (or can I call you Big?) as my two favourites are Orion and Cygnus, purely judged on their naked eye appearance.
grahammogford

Postby Chanctonbury » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:56 pm

For me, rather unimaginatively, it has to be Orion - there is just so much to see in it's environs. The Orion Nebula (M42) is just the most beautiful object and one of the first objects I imaged:-

[image]http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/orion141104copy2.jpg[/image]
Chanctonbury

Postby jsc248 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:56 pm

I guess my favourite is Ursa Major, probably because it was the first constellation that I learnt to identify. Like most Orion is the one I observe the most telescopically.
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby richard42 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:30 am

Cygnus has got to be the best for me!

was the first consterlation i learnt to view in my telescope last year, as well as 'sitting' nicely in the sky as from my back garden.
richard42

Postby piglet » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:46 pm

Orion for me plus it's a good sign the Dark winter nights are here(when its not raining), there's so much to see with even the modest of telescope's.

James[:)]
[image]http://iseestars.net./image/2059/large/image.jpg[/image]
piglet

Next

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches