Favourite Deep sky object!

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Favourite Deep sky object!

Postby jsc248 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:06 pm

Hi Gang,
I hope this is the right area to post this thread in.
I guess my favourite deep sky object was the first object I found by myself, namely M57 The Ring Nebula in Lyra. After that I guess it's M42 The great Orion nebula and The Andromeda spiral.
What is your favourite?
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: Favourite Deep sky object!

Postby les » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:43 pm

HI JSC,
A very difficult choice but I think It must be the Ring, but ask another day it might be somthing else,theres just so much out there.[:)]
Regards Les.
les

Postby padswift » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:16 pm

I think mines gotta be Andromeda. Filtered images of Nebula look prettier perhaps and you know that there are baby stars being born in some which is cute...but Andromeda is gonna crash into us, which is a bit of a bummer I suppose, even though earth will have been blown apart by Sol long before that happens - still its exciting to think about --- I'm going for some counselling now...[&:]
padswift

Postby big dipper » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:13 pm

I started a thread on this a few months ago too. I have to say that although M57 and M13 were the first two objects I looked at, my all time favourite is the Swan, closely followed by the Dumbell. I think that they just look wonderful through my 11" SCT.
big dipper

Postby andrew short » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:16 pm

I fisrt saw M42 with my Grandad's 10x50 bins;way back in 1976 when I was 10 yrs old and it remains my overall favourite DSO to this day.I love the view of the Veil Nebula in Cygnus with an 8" or larger telescope and a broadband neb filter,though I've been informed that it looks even more impressive with an O3 filter.
My favourite open cluster is M37,M92 is my fave globular,though I'd love to be able to afford to travel to the southern hemisphere and see Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanae.M51 and NGC5195,without doubt provide the most impressive galactic view through a large enough scope.For me M27 has to be the nicest of the planetary nebulas,though M57 is a close second.
I always enjoy sweeping through the milky way with binoculars on a Summer's evening,particularly the Scutum-Sagittarius area,M11,M8,M20 and the whole area in general are lovely with my 15x70's.

All the best,
Andrew.
andrew short

Postby s_hawkins » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:03 pm

My favourites are M51 (Whirlpool Galaxy) and M6 (Butterfly Cluster). M51 because of its distinct spiral structure and M6 because of its beauty.
s_hawkins

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches