February's Classic episode.

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

February's Classic episode.

Postby paulb » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi.

I've just watched the classic episode from December 1977 and wanted to congratulate the editor for an excellent choice.

It is a truly classic episode which is made more memorable for me because, I was only seven at that time so I possibly didn't get to see it because of it's late time slot.

But also because, I knew the late Paul Doherty.

Paul was made an honorary member of Macclesfield Astronomical Society during the very early 1990's. And I was very privileged to get the chance to meet him, and found him a very friendly and open person. I met him on a number of occasions, when he used to come and visit the society's open day's at Jodrell Bank, which we held on every Bank Holiday during the early to mid 1990s.

When I new of his illness. I was able to send to him, whilst he was convalescing. A picture that I took of comet Hyakutake. This comet was visible at that time in 1995/6, and Paul was able to observe and draw the comet.

Paul being the kind guy he was, telephoned me at my home to thank me and told me that his drawing was a very accurate representation when he compared it to my photograph.

He is very sadly missed. And he was in my opinion, one of the 20th century's great visual observers.
paulb

RE: February's Classic episode.

Postby astropaul » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi Paul,

I would be interested to know how you managed to see a 1977 classic episode ? i have made enquiries on this forum as to how i could get hold of such episodes, but with no luck so far.. i would give my right arm to get hold a few or as many as possible.. its Patrick Moore that i admire so much..

Any advice on how i could get hold of copies, would reallp be appriciated !!!

Paul B
astropaul

Postby brianb » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:06 am

[quote]Any advice on how i could get hold of copies[/quote]
Buy the February 2010 issue of SaN magazine.

People who are subscribers may already have received their copy.

brianb

Postby astropaul » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 am

Thanks for pointing that out Brian, yes i have been a subscriber of the magazine for several years now, just hadn't got around to opening february's issue, until i read your reply. Great !! i'm looking forward to watching that.........

Oh i'd still be interested in finding out whether Paul know's of how to get hold of other classic episodes....

Paul
astropaul

Postby paulb » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Paul,

I don't know how long you have been a subscriber to S@N magazine. I started with the first issue and likely you've missed some very good classic episodes.

The CDs of September 05 and April 06 both contain classic episodes. If you don't have these, then you will need to speak with Sky at Night.[i][/i]
paulb

Postby mickyway » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:33 pm

What a wonderful tribute to Paul Doherty from PaulB.
Paul has painted a picture of a very nice person who was dedicated to his hobby.
How easy we have it now! I remember my first telescope, a 4 inch reflector from
Charles Frank, (some older forum members will know the model). Imaging and
observation is so much easier now, and we owe a great deal to unsung heroes
like Paul Doherty, and indeed to Sir Patrick, for setting the standards we persue today.
Thank you PaulB.

Regards and Best Wishes,
mickyway

Postby nebogipfel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:03 pm

A fascinating programme.

It was interesting to see what Paul was able to achieve with not much money but lots of enthusiasm and ingenuity.
nebogipfel

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:43 pm

I really enjoyed the episode. Amazing to see that Mr.Doherty built such a great scope from scrap metal etc. I am not an artist of any sense but it was AMAZING to see such quality sketches and paintings also. I was wondering to myself as i watched the episode "is that guy still alive", because it seems so long ago to me. I was just pushing 4 yrs old at the time.

Such a talented guy. Making scopes,painting,sketching..................
lukeskywatcher

Postby matt mills » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:03 pm

I recently watched the classic episode (I bought the February issue quite late) and found the interview with Paul Doherty very interesting. I remember seeing Paul as a guest on The Sky at Night in the late 80s and only 20 minutes after watching the classic episode, I searched for Paul on Google and found that he had died in 1997. I had no idea that he had died and I was very sad to read this.

Paul was a very talented astronomical artist and I remember him being credited for the illustrations on The Sky at Night (along with Eric Ilett). I'm not sure when Paul stopped producing drawings for the programme.
matt mills

Postby alandavidshaw » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:50 am

Am glad to see so many other members being interested in Paul Doherty. I have memories of seeing part's of the '77 programe before, over the later years.
After doing a search on-line, sadly to find out about his passaing.

Watching the '77 programe was fasiniting to watch him draw Saturn. And to hear about his home built telescope :-)
alandavidshaw

Next

Return to General