File Types

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

File Types

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:26 pm

What's best?

AVIs or SERs for video files?

FITs, TIFs or PNGs for single images?

I had not heard of SERs or FITs before I bought my Altair GPCAM290. My understanding is that with short exposures, videos are better and with long exposures single images are better. And then the file choice is down to whatever software is being used. DSS will stack TIFs and FITs but Registax will only stack FITs.

What else should I be considering?

Regards

Graeme

Re: File Types

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:43 pm

I've not used SER files myself, but I understand they aren't affected by the native Windows file size limitation (possibly 4Gb, but I'm not sure). I know that PIPP software allows processing of SER files, whereas other software doesn't, but pre-processing in PIPP can be useful anyway as a method of setting and stabilising the Region of Interest before submitting the video stream to the stacking software.

I only know a little about FITS and TIFFs; they are both are ways of packaging image files with additional data - which may relate to the image capture device itself, or even to the history of post-capture processing if that has been done. There's no specific format for the image element in a TIFF - it could be in a zero compression format such as BMP or a lossless format such as PNG, or even a lossy JPEG image, so don't assume that a TIFF is going to be better than another format image. However, TIFFs can contain data at a very high Bit standard, which may mean they can be processed more successfully in software like Photoshop.

As for FITS, from the little I know, I think they can be a very flexible format in terms of how the data is held, and as I recall, some files I've downloaded as FITS files were tables of data rather than 'images' as such.
If you find out more, please let me know as I'm struggling a bit
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Re: File Types

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Yes, I did read that FITs files can contain data other than the image.

The PIPP software you mention looks intriguing! Off to give it a try now.

Return to General