First attempt at Saturn

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

First attempt at Saturn

Postby andrewscomputers » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi everyone I got an image of saturn this morning without any barlow and it was a bit windy,but here is my result. :o
Thanks for looking.
Andy
Attachments
s25.jpg
s25.jpg (214.63 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
w31.jpg
w31.jpg (221.88 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
andrewscomputers

Re: First attempt at Saturn

Postby Aratus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Well done for getting it on the frame and in reasonable focus! Saturn is incredibly small compared to these moon pictures! You can see why people tend to use a 3x, 4x or even 5x Barlow lens on planets. It is really pretty good considering how low down Saturn is, and how bad the seeing must have been. Saturn is quite dim compared to some of the other planets. You will need to increase the exposure - certainly if you do use a barlow in the future. Alternatively you might be able to increase the sensitivity of the CCD but it will introduce some graininess to the picture. It is always a trade off between those two parameters. If you do this again take another image with a longer exposure - a few seconds - and see if you can bag Titan, or one of the other satellites of Saturn.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:08 pm

HI thanks for the reply I have a 2x barlow but tried it on the ccd camera by screwing it on the bottom of the camera,it did not seem to work so I will try putting the barlow in the eyepiece with the camera and see if that works.I also saw mars but I run out of time to take pictures as the Sun started to rise and hid the planets from view.I also took some video of saturn whilst I was taking the pictures
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:10 pm

The Barlow is fitted to the 1.25" tube where the eyepiece normally goes. The eyepiece then goes into the Barlow. Once you have got a focus with the eyepiece, you can take the eyepiece out, and put the camera in. You will need to re-focus it but it should be focussed enough on the screen for you to see it. Finding an object with a barlow can be difficult. If it is wildly out of focus you may not see it at all.

I noticed Mars rising last night as I was going to bed. It will soon be as well placed as it is going to be this year. I said that Saturn was small - wait until you see Mars! If you get a chance, practice on Jupiter in the evening, which is larger, higher and much brighter.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:41 am

HI thanks for the advice I will try on Jupiter and the moon first to get some experience in attempting to use the barlow that come with the scope.I did see Mars and was a small round disc but was clearer because it was just sitting below the moon as it was brighter in the sky.
Thanks
Andy
andrewscomputers

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches