First Light (lastnight)

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

First Light (lastnight)

Postby chubster » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:16 pm

First clear Sky's tonight so i thought id just sit there and stare up and try and learn me way around.

Managed for 100% sure to find Polaris (dont laugh) then Uma minor, can never seem to see two of the fainter stars normally, onto Bootes, Knew Saturn was around in Cancer somewhere but had to go out the front to try and find her.

Sat on the car bonnet and after my eyes had adapted tried to locate cancer using the two Tanias from U Major as pointers....

Back into the garden get the scope out and center the finder on what i reckon to be Saturn.....Bingo, Smack in the centre of view [:D] Rings and all.....Just watched for about 1/2 hour with a smile on me face......Just about to pack up when i noticed this bright "star" popping in and out from behind a tree in the SEasterly direction.......swing the scope around.....double bingo [:D][:D] Jupiter i assume??? Could clearly see 4 moons 1 on one side three on the other all in a straight line.... [:D]

Off to bed a happy chap

PS Used my 10mm supplied with the scope, any suggestions on how i can see a little bit more detail ?
chubster

RE: First Light

Postby gammalog » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:50 pm

An excellent start Adrian, well done.

Nothing like the sense of achievement you get, when learning your way around the night sky and 'score a bullseye' like you did with Saturn.

The first time you ever see Saturn through a telescope, is a memory you'll keep for a very long time.

Dave
gammalog

Postby jsc248 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Excellent Adrian,
As Dave said that first view of Saturn will stay with you for a long time.
As for seeing more detail, that will come with practice. The more you observe, then the more you will see! The only suggestion I can give is to invest into a few more eyepieces. If I may suggest, then I have purchased an 8-24mm zoom eyepiece from Seben. They are very reasonably priced and can be obtained from [url=http://www.seben.com/]http://www.seben.com[/url] You will find them under accessories. It is an excellent zoom plossyl that replaces all the eyepieces from 8mm to 24mm and has excellent optics and good field of view. have a look.
I wish you clear skies and I'm pleased you've taken your first steps into this fascinating hobby of ours.
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby christo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Hi there,
Saw Saturn for the first time myself a month or so ago. How good! Enjoy every clear night, it never gets boring.
Cheers,
Chris
christo

Postby jsc248 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:13 pm

Hi Chris,
Just been back to the site, that's a pretty impressive photo of saturm considering it was taken by mobile phone. Good steady hands required there I thinkl! Well done.
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: First Light (lastnight)

Postby andrew short » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:03 pm

I'm pleased your first viewing session with your new scope went well,looks like my concerns about your storage situation were unfounded!

Andrew.
andrew short

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches