First proper viewing with my first telescope

First proper viewing with my first telescope

Postby _ad » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:26 am

Well it's been a night of firsts! First proper viewing through my first telescope and seeing Mars for the first time. I am sitting here feeling awed and humbled. I can go outdoors right now and point to another planet in our solar system. I can see it with my eyes! Even the slight orange tint is noticeable!

A full write-up is on my [url=http://simplypeachy.livejournal.com/49304.html]journal[/url] but to sum it up: I am amazed, excited and enthralled. I can't believe how much can be seen with a starter telescope! If anyone reading this is wondering what to get, the Sky-Watcher Explorer 130P on an EQ2 seems to be a fantastic piece of kit, and great value for money for the price I paid of £175.

Walking back home and being able to look up at Mars and say "We have robots on that planet, and landers, and an orbiter" is pretty special. My attorney and I managed to mistake Gemini for Cancer (go on, have a chuckle :-) and while trying to find the Beehive Cluster I picked out a triangle consisting of HIP36859, HIP36919 and HIP36841 in Gemini using the 10mm lens. Only after getting home and looking on Microsoft's WorldWide Telescope have I realised just how faint they are. Jaw-dropping!
_ad

RE: First proper viewing with my first telescope

Postby jackatron » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:33 am

Im Glad To Hear Your Enjoying Your New Scope aD, And I Totally Understand How You Feel Just Catching Those First Glimpses At Planets And Star Clusters Etc Are Ones You'll Always Remeber, I Recommend Spotting Saturn Your Breath Will Truely Be Taken Away! [:D] I Have The 1145P And Its Spectacular For Me.. With Your 130P You'll Be Able To See Much Moree! [;)]

J
jackatron

RE: First proper viewing with my first telescope

Postby philip pugh » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:13 am

I also recommend M81 and M82.

Go for M101, M51 and M106 if it's clear.

The Virgo Supercluster is worth a visit but only on the clearest of nights. Last night Spica was noticeably dim. The Virgo Supercluster is far south enough from the UK to suffer extinction and I also recommend that you should wait until the Virgo bowl is due south (and at its highest). My rule of thumb is to see if I can spot M65 and M66 through my bins.
philip pugh

Return to Telescopic Observing