First scope

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

First scope

Postby Stcaw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi all,

I am sorry but this may be a question asked a lot! My daughter (age 6) with my help wants to explore the night sky, so she is asking Santa for a telescope. I have been advised that the Lidl Bresser scope just out, is a good start and at £70 not a bad price. I bought one today but I am not sure I have made the correct decision. I am happy to spend more and my objective Is to make this easy and ensure that we see things that keep her interested. (Planets etc.)

Other alternatives that I have looked at

Sky watcher heritage 100p
Skywatcher Heritage-114p

Do I need to return the Lidl scope and get one of these instead?

Thanks for your advice in advance
Stcaw

Re: First scope

Postby Stcaw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:06 pm

Sorry the second option was the Sky Watcher 114p Virtuoso

Thanks
Stcaw

Postby Aratus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Which Bresser telescope did you buy?

The Sky Watcher 114p Virtuoso is a good telescope but it would be beyond a 6 year old child to align and operate themselves.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Stcaw » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi

The Lidl model is Bresser Skylux 70/700 includes 2 eyepieces 31.7, 1.5 x Erecting lens and 3 x Barlow lens.

PS You are correct - setting up the scopes will be beyond my daughter, I will have to do that (it will be partly be for me too :-)). Would it be better for the virtuoso scope as it tracks the object so once we find something we can get the whole family to view it ?
Stcaw

Postby Aratus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:25 pm

OK - well this is a 70mm refractor, which is very nice telescope to begin with. It has the advantage of being able to be used for terrestrial objects. It has an equatorial mount which, as long as you've aligned it correctly, will track an object with one control. It has no motor to do this automatically, neither is it computer controlled. In other words the money you are spending on it is going into the telescope itself, which is no bad thing. The 20mm and 12mm eyepieces are good, but I can't imagine why they've included a 4mm. It will give a magnification well beyond the ability of the telescope in normal conditions. A 5mm, or 6mm eyepiece would have been better. However, the barlow could be used with the 20mm eyepiece to give a good magnification.

You are right in thinking that with that telescope, an object will eventually sail out of view, and will require a manual tweak to keep it in sight. You would need to go back between each person viewing it, to centre it again. The virtuoso, if you align it correctly, will stay with the object. It also has the advantage of finding objects for you. This is why a lot of the money you are spending on it is going on the mount rather than the telescope. Bear in mind that the virtuoso doesn't really have a 'stand alone' mount. It will need a sturdy table in the garden to put it on. It is another way of keeping the price down.

In the end you have to weight up the cost, and the abilities of each telescope.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Stcaw » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks Aratus - so the Lidl scope would be a good value place to start. Is the Skywatcher 100p better? It's only £20 more...

Again thank you for taking the time to answer my question - I really appreciate it.
Stcaw

Postby Aratus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 pm

The Skywatcher is the same kind of telescope as the virtuoso, but without the motor/computer. It has the same disadvantage in that it will require a sturdy table. It doesn't have the advantage of the refractor's mount which if aligned correctly can manually track an object with one control. The Skywatcher requires movement in both horizontally and vertically. It might be hard to make small adjustments with it. However, it has a bigger aperture than the refractor, and will give a brighter image.

If you spend money on a better telescope tube and less on the mount you get a brighter or bigger image, but you might struggle to find an object, and keep it in the eyepiece. If you spend the same money on a good mount which makes it easier to find and track objects, you will have a smaller telescope tube. It is a bit of a dilemma.
Aratus

Postby Stcaw » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks again - I think we will keep the Bresser as it seems like a good place to start. Is there any eyepieces that I should have on the shopping list that would improve the experience with this scope?

Here's hoping for a clear night sky on the 25th :-)
Stcaw

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Stcaw wrote:Thanks again - I think we will keep the Bresser as it seems like a good place to start. Is there any eyepieces that I should have on the shopping list that would improve the experience with this scope?

Here's hoping for a clear night sky on the 25th :-)

I wouldn't worry too much about getting new eyepieces yet - and I wouldn't try using that scope with the provided 4mm EP - it's much too powerful for the size of your telescope - there's a rule of thumb that you'll be disappointed if your eyepiece focal length (in mm) is less than the focal ratio of the telescope. So you might be able to use a 4mm EP with something like an f/4 Dobsonian, but I think the Bresser scope is f/10, so I'm afraid the 4mm EP is likely to give disappointing views.

If you're looking for accessories, I would suggest you get a Planisphere and a red light head torch. One will help you find your way around the sky, the other will help you find your way around the scope without spoiling your night vision.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:55 pm

Just to fit some numbers to this - the 20mm eyepiece with the 3x barlow will give a magnification of x105
The 12mm eyepiece by itself will give x58
The 20mm by itself will give x35

Under normal conditions that will give you an excellant range of magnifications for that telescope.

Under rare excellent conditions your telescope could stand magnifications of x135. A 5mm eyepiece could give you that magnification. In reality you could be waiting years for the right conditions to use it. The other problem with eyepieces of small focal length is the narrow viewing angle. Because of the way the eye works, the slightest movement of the head or eye, and the image will disappear! (The problem is worse the older you get!) You will also get a dim image.

Gfamily2's suggestion that there are better things to spend you money on than a new eyepiece is good advice.

I hope 25th Dec is a clear night, but when I got my first telescope for Christmas 1971 - it was cloudy until the 28th!
Aratus

Next

Return to Equipment Advice