First telescope question

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

First telescope question

Postby Jeremy7758 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:33 pm

I am looking for my first scope. So far I am deciding between the skywatcher 8 Dobsonian or the Celestron Omni XLT 127. I’m fairly certain at this point that I want to avoid the GOTO scopes as I can get more bang for my buck and learn the night sky better by avoiding GOTO. I also think that the search is half the fun. Any advice between these two or another scope suggestion is appreciated. I like the Dobsonian for the size but the Celestron would be better for astrophotography.
Jeremy7758

Re: First telescope question

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:43 pm

Hi and welcome
Personally if it was me, I'd go with the Dobsonian.
It has the advantage of the better aperture and a wider field of view; and it's often easier to start observing with an Alt-Az mount, which is basically what a Dob is.

As regards astrophotography; the CG4 mount would probably be stretching its payload for imaging - and the Mak is not an ideal scope for starting AP with, quite apart from needing driving motors; I'd say you would be better off with something like a 80mm refractor.

I would suggest getting the Dob, and if you're interested in AP, consider getting a compact equatorial camera mount, such as the Star Adventurer, that you can use with a standard dSLR camera and a telephoto lens.

You have said you're looking for your 'first' scope after all :)
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby dave.b » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:22 am

If you want to go manual then the 8" DOB is probably the best choice.

I've got the Omni 127. Great little SCT and the Moon nearly fills an APS-C frame with it. Never used the CG4 mount it came with. I originally used it with my SLT mount and now use it with my AVX mount. It's one of 4 OTAs I own; 3 of which get used. This one for Moon pictures in my back yard, a 66mm Equinox refractor for out and about, and an 8" Edge HD for narrow field work in my yard such as the planets and DSOs. The one that I hardly use st all now was my first and is the 4" 102SLT refractor.
dave.b

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:15 pm

If you don't already have binoculars, try them first. For a first 'scope I would consider a small refractor. You will use it for quick grab-and-go use if/when you decide to buy a larger 'scope later.

I have a 127mm Mak and think it is great but would not have wished to learn with it.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

About Me: https://www.amazon.com/Philip-Pugh/e/B0034NTCJK

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Equipment Advice