flash in sky

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

flash in sky

Postby Mollymoo01 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi all I live in north west England im not really big on sky watching but last Tuesday night me and a friend were looking up to see if we could see satelites as it was a clear night. We both seen this little flash in the sky like the flash of electric arc, it was deep space and both of us seen it. did anyone else see it.Does anyone have any idea what it could have been. I have never seen anything like this before.
Mollymoo01

Re: flash in sky

Postby Gfamily2 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:49 pm

Mollymoo01 wrote:Hi all I live in north west England im not really big on sky watching but last Tuesday night me and a friend were looking up to see if we could see satelites as it was a clear night. We both seen this little flash in the sky like the flash of electric arc, it was deep space and both of us seen it. did anyone else see it.Does anyone have any idea what it could have been. I have never seen anything like this before.

Hi
To try and pin down what you saw it'll be helpful to know...
How long did the flash last for, a fraction of a second (like a camera flash), a second or two, or several seconds, or longer?
Was the flash stationary, or did it seem to move at all?
Was it a steady brightness or did it fade in or fade out - or did it brighten suddenly at the end?
How bright was it compared to the brightest stars you could see?
The main possibilities are a meteor or a satellite, but to be honest it's probably going to be hard to be specific.

You can get meteors that are heading straight towards you which wouldn't produce a 'trail' as such, and you can get 'Iridium' satellites that only produce what looks like a 'flash' rather than showing movement across the sky.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby david48 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Without doubt a reflecting satellite, or meteor, as Gf says.
david48

Postby Aratus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:05 pm

I would agree. A normally dim, or even invisible satellite can sometimes reflect the sun off a solar panel, or some such. The result is a flash lasting anything from a fraction of a second to several seconds. I have recorded such a flash on a photograph. Sometimes they can be predicted, and I know of astronomers who wait up to see such flashes. The 'Iridium' series of satellites are notorious 'flashers' :o
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to General