Full frame V APS-C

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Full frame V APS-C

Postby RonMcK » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Does anybody have a view on the advantage of a Full Frame DSLR over an APS-C one in terms of astro photography? Any chance we can get some expert views on this in the magazine, lots of people may be looking at new cameras for Christmas.

I read the specs for the different ones but I am not sure which of the two is best of sky imaging,

thoughts appreciated.

Ron
RonMcK

Re: Full frame V APS-C

Postby gemini budders » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 pm

full frame has a larger sensor the same as a 35mm camera allow in more light to be captured therefore you will end up with higher dynamic range, color depth, low noise in shadow detail and shallow depth of field but for the price of a nikon d 600 at £1,299 and your only using the body and the higher sensor compard to a ccd webcam,or high frame rate camera, or top of the pile a dedicated planetary camera for less than 1/2 the price with p.c software to enhance your photos i will go for the camera suited for the job. the resone that all dslr camras havent got a higher sencor is the price its cheaper to fit cameras witha slightly smaller sensor than full frame
gemini budders

Postby RonMcK » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks for that, thing is I use the camera for lots of other things besides astronomy. Looking at the new canon 650d though, looks pretty good even for a smaller chip.

Ron
RonMcK

Postby gemini budders » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:11 pm

That's a great camera i'am a little bit biast in that i like nikon but you will get some fantastic astro shots with a good DSLR set it on bulb with low ISO and tripod you will get great pics all the best regards steve
gemini budders

Postby dave.b » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:08 pm

For the same telescope setup a larger camera sensor will capture a wider field of view. This has merit if you are into wide field astro-photography. Planetary imaging is inherently a narrow field task so a larger sensor is of no advantage which is why webcams can be used for such a task.

The Canon 650D is excellent, not least because it has a tilt-able display and live-view for both focusing and mirror lock-up (to avoid vibration when opening the shutter). You'll have to pay a lot more for a camera with a larger sensor and then you'll need much more expensive lenses to make full use of it compared to those that are adequate for an APS-C class of camera.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby RonMcK » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks for this, I have decided to stick with my Canon 550d as a closer look at the spec of the 650d makes it think it is more or less the same camera but with a fold out screen, it is the same silicon and same resolution (though there are a few extra bits) but I guess I will wait for the 750d and see if when I upgrade I actually get a higher spec camera.

Ron
RonMcK

Return to General