Galactic Cirrus- Super Nova - Star Birth

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Galactic Cirrus- Super Nova - Star Birth

Postby jax2000 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi there sky gazers

I have a question - if someone could spare five minutes to answer this it would be much appreciated.

I have been watching 'Sky at Night' for a few years now and have assumed that galactic dust is the remnant from supernovas.

The last programme was focusing on the new Herschel telescope and showed several galactic dust areas - or galactic cirrus - firstly are these different from one another or one of the same, because i am confused at how dust from one star that has gone super nova could produce enough material to form star birth regions - at first i thought the new stars must be small - but the pundits mentioned that some are quite large i.e. 10s of times larger than our sun - the question is how is there enough material produced from one super nova that can provide for the birth of several massive stars - surely there is not enough or are the stars that produced the dust even larger.

Hope this makes sense if you need clarity in my question i will gladly try and refine it.

Kind regards Mark Jackson
jax2000

RE: Galactic Cirrus- Super Nova - Star Birth

Postby brianb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:10 pm

[quote]the question is how is there enough material produced from one super nova that can provide for the birth of several massive stars [/quote]
It's not necessary that the material comes from one SN. It probably comes from many. An extra SN is probably required to compress the dust / gas cloud to the point where it will begin to collapse into a protostar.

Don't forget that - unless you're looking at stars - everything you see around you - except for the hydrogen (about 10% of water by weight) and the rare gas helium which you're only likely to see inside a balloon - was made in supernovae.
brianb

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question