Getting started with image processing

Getting started with image processing

Postby worcspaul » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:50 am

I've been attempting to do a bit of processing on an image I took of the plough last week. I noticed a couple of hot pixels when examining the original RAW file so generated a "dark" image by setting the camera to the same aperture/shutter/ISO as when the image was taken and taking a shot with the lens cap on. I then loaded the original and dark image into DeepSkyStacker and after it had "done its stuff" I was amazed at the image appearing in the DSS interface. I'd even managed to capture part of Coma Berenices which was a pleasant surprise. However, when I saved the file as a TIF file and tried viewing it, the stars were very dim.

I then tried loading the RAW file into Gimp (which allowed me to specify a dark frame) on Linux and the result was OK(ish). In my newly created blog at [url=http://worcspaul.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/getting-to-grips-with-image-processing/]blog post[/url] you can see the GIMP image and, below, a screenshot of DeepSkyStacker showing the processed image. What I'd like to know is how to get DSS to save the image with that amount of sharpness! [:-]
worcspaul

Return to Astro imaging