Go on have a laugh.. A wobbly Wooden Wedge

Share practical advice and tips on making your own kit

Go on have a laugh.. A wobbly Wooden Wedge

Postby psychobilly » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:13 pm

[align=left]Having spent a frustrating few hours trying to get PHD to autoguide the 8" in Alt/Az I decided it was time to try out a few things for the inevitable wedge project...

I still had a few things I wanted to check out - like getting the COG over the center of the tripod etc and decide on a practical rather than theoretical exercise in seeing how it will all work...

So Inspired by the table building article in last month Sky at Night MAgazine it was off to B&Q at 7.00 am. I wanted 25mm ply but they only had 18mm so bought a 660x1200mm piece and a few stainless steel butt hinges... did a few sketches and some quick measurements and came up with this...

[image]local://2658/220F1993FC8F43B6B50F15B693520C4B.jpg[/image] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Not the most stable or adjustable wedge in the world but will let me have a quick play with rough and ready polar alignment - Iam hoping that even an approximate polar alignment will reduce the field rotation considerqably compared to ALt/Az..and it cost £17 all in and a few hours work...[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]I will have to try and do a lower profile version for the metal one as getting to the eyepieces is a pain...[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Will try it out tonight...[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Billy...[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]p.s. there wont be any close ups of this one [:D][/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]
psychobilly

RE: Go on have a laugh.. A wobbly Wooden Wedge

Postby bajr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:46 pm

I like it,it's a wobbly wooden wedge on the world wide web.
bajr

Postby tooth_dr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:10 pm

Well done Billy

Lets get a few images of with and without for comparison.
tooth_dr

Postby Chanctonbury » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:16 pm

It looks pretty substantial so if you got the latitude right it should be an improvement over the Alt/Az. You still have fine tuning in the tripod legs for latitude
Chanctonbury

Postby psychobilly » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:33 pm

With the tripod and wedge base level (0.0 x 0.0) for two readings 90 degrees apart on the digital level the front face of the wedge and the base of the scope were 0.5 degree off my latitude

The design - if there is any in it - can be adjusted but it requires the use of shims so thats for tomorrow as well as a bit of self leveling compound ont drive so that Ican use the anti-vibration mounts... Iwasnt to popular when I took a hammer and grinder to the chippings today to make another set of LZ's for the tripod legs...

Will report back later if it works at all...HOpefully will be able to get PHD working now as well...

Billy..

Fine tuning is interesting with that lot on top... I normally start high and hope i don't overshoot!
psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Well the results...

Good ALt/Az beats Carp EQ hands down .....

Goto's were way out - it was lmost like having the ETX back again...

And Alt/Az is far quicker and safer (both for me and the scope!) to setup especially single handed...

SO with the light pollution at the home site I think I am going to stay Alt Az and manual guide using the reticule sreens in PHD and either Gsuncheck or the hand controller to feed in the corrections.....

Surely there must be an autoguide setup that works Alt/Az?

Billy....
psychobilly

Return to Telescope Making