GOTO mounts

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Re: GOTO mounts

Postby ThePeltonian » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:35 pm

I love my goto, I am a beginner and to be honest it helps me no end.
I use it in conjunction with stellarium on the tablet to help me learn where certain objects are in the sky.
The only downside is if It does not start correctly it will not goto the object within the finder but I do like the searching once i'm in the right place.

Last night it was Orions Nebula & Jupiter - fabulous views of both, I even got up at 4am to see if could get a glimpse of Saturn as not been able to yet with this scope, but high cloud stopped play.

Will keep an eye on what the weather will be like this weekend coming and might get a view eventually.

Stu
ThePeltonian

Postby Aratus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Stu

I am sure having a 'goto' doesn't stop you from knowing the sky!

What is the problem you sometimes have with the goto?
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby ThePeltonian » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi Aratus, I dont think its a problem with the GOTO more a problem with the user not quite pointing north :)
ThePeltonian

Postby Aratus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:31 pm

There are ways of increasing your chances of getting a good alignment. I've never used a Sky-Watcher, but I have heard of their alignment systems. Are you using the 'Bright Star and Direction' technique?

If you are already aware of these tips, my apologies, but someone might find them useful. As well as being sure of the direction you are pointing, try to choose stars that are not too low down. Somewhere in the middle of the sky is best. Pick stars in 2 different regions of the sky if you can - either side of the area of sky you are interested in. Centering the star is easier if you have it out of focus. Getting a large disk centred is easier than a pinpoint star.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby ThePeltonian » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Aratus.

Sorry not been around this week been a bit busy booo.
I normally just point at north and not star align - its normally nearly right just need to slew a small way to get to point... maybe i should do the star align then it will hit the sweet spot every time..
I will have a go tonight as looks like south yorkshire is going to be clear might even get a glimpse at the aurora
ThePeltonian

Postby Aratus » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Two named stars either side of the area you are looking at, in the middle of the sky, no less than 60 degrees apart will almost guarentee the object you 'goto' will be in a standard eyepiece. Getting the time and date correct is of course essential. Making the final moves before pressing the 'align' button the same for each star helps too. (I always go 'down' and 'right' in the eyepiece to the centre, but different telescopes are set differently)

I went out at about midnight last night but no 'green glow'. I reckon I was about 60 miles too far south. It is forcast to clear mid-evening for me too. I'll be out observing from about 9pm, but I won't get my hopes up!
Aratus

Previous

Return to General