Gratitude and quetions

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Gratitude and quetions

Postby nebulus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 pm

May I take this opportunity to say how impressed I am with the service I received from Telescope House. I decided to get some Binoculars, just a standard set of Meade 10x50, and I purchased them from the above web site yesterday afternoon. I thought I would receive them at the earliest tuesday morning but I just received them now!! I will be out tonight hopefully to give them ago but was wondering if there were any sources of information relating to bins and observing.
I must say the thing I found with my telescope is that it was actually a little disappointing; I think that this is partly if not totally related to 'dreaded' expectation. You see images of solar system objects and the DSO with amazing clarity and detail and when you look down your tiny amateur scope to see a disc of light or a faint fuzzy blob it is a little bit....... I suppose just disappointing. However I do appreciate and marvel at the sights I have seen; I think Jupiter is my favourite so far while Saturn was the least impressive. Even with a 90mm aperture I could see the bands that run horizontally and also the four Galilean moons; night after night I watched as they altered their position around the main planet and how the planet transversed the sky in a slick and graceful motion. As hard as I tried I could never resolve the Great red spot clearly, got the odd hint that I was there but never 100% sure. Saturn was a disappointment for a number of reasons. It should be said that I am particular fond of this planet as there are some many interesting and novel features, the most obvious is the ring structures. While I appreciate Uranus also has rings, none are more iconic than Saturns. It is that image of sitting on Titan looking up at the huge globe sitting in the sky. Why is it that more planets didn't form these rings and are the rings around Saturn stable? By this I mean are they slowly spiralling towards the planet or are they at a 'fixed' distance? One other thing that I have been wondering about is what exactly would have happened if Saturn had acquired more mass to equal that of Jupiter? I know they say you can't have a solar system with two planets the size of Jupiter but why ?

Sorry I have started to rabbit...

Anyway kindest regards

Joe
nebulus

RE: Gratitude and quetions

Postby brianb » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:06 pm

[quote]Why is it that more planets didn't form these rings and are the rings around Saturn stable?[/quote]
Pass. Maybe they did? Are the rings or ring arcs known to exist around Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune the remnants of similar ring systems to Saturn's which have subsequently decayed?

The small "shepherd" satellites that have been discovered by space probes do help to keep the rings stable; but whether there is true dynamic stability over timescales of billions of years is still dubious. The collisions between ring particles convert some kinetic energy into heat, which is radiated away, so the orbits of the particles do tend to drop lower until they impact Saturn's atmosphere; if energy is being replaced from the sheperding satellites, these must also be changing their orbits over very long periods of time.

BTW Earth is rapidly acquiring a "ring" comprised of "space junk" which has accumulated since October 1957 ....

brianb

Postby brian jones » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:23 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: brianb

[quote]
BTW Earth is rapidly acquiring a "ring" comprised of "space junk" which has accumulated since October 1957 ....

[/quote]

On BBC's QI last night, apparently a lot of this junk is covered with a thin layer of human faeces ejected from manned missions, and could conceivable one day provide a growing medium for new lifeforms to evolve!!! [:'(]
brian jones

Postby nebulus » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Many thanks for the replies, most appreciated. I managed to get out last night and my word the bins were good; much better than my telescope. I turned my attention to Orion and saw M42. What an excellent treat that is and it will be enticing me out tonight (weather permitting of course). I have no idea why the bins are better than my scope, but I certianly think an upgrade on the scope front is in order. Does anyone have any experience with the Skywatcher Skyliner-200P (Dobsonian) or Skywatcher Explorer-200P (EQ5)? Alternatively does anyone have suggestions for an 8 inch telescope. I am very much interested in observing DSO so am looking for an intermediate upgrade for a chap with some experience at looking at the heavens.

Kindest regards guys and girls

Joe
nebulus

Return to General