Greetings All

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Greetings All

Postby Scotty_ » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Hello All

I am looking to get my first telescope albeit it wont be till later in the year, so I am currently trying to determine what kind, make, size to get.
I had wanted to diverse into viewing and photography but from the little I have read the latter seems to be a tricky option, so maybe I'll save myself a lot of money by concentrating on just observing?

I'm kind of drawn to the ease of Goto scopes and been looking at some from Celestron, if I can afford it Iv'e been looking at Celestron NexStar 8 SE, Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 and Celestron Advanced VX 8", but totally open to others once I figure out what I might need.

Looking forward to browsing the forum and picking up some good advice

Cheers All Scotty
Scotty_

Re: Greetings All

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi and welcome.
Hi grade astrophotography is very demanding, but if you have a dSLR you can get attachments to allow you to take 'quite good' images of brighter objects with any of those.

I would suggest you search google to see if you have a local astronomy society. You'll be very welcome and if they have observing sessions you can go along and see what telescopes people are using, and what things look like through them. You don't need to have a telescope to join, our local one (MId Cheshire Astro) has lots of members who don't have a telescope (yet).

How familiar are you with the night sky? If you're just setting out and don't already have one, I'd suggest you get a planisphere - Phillips do a good one, or you can download a 'print your own' one from several places on the internet.
These show you what's visible at different times of night through they year, and will help you to learn your way around the sky.

Keep us posted with how you get on.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Scotty_ » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi G,

Totally new to everything related but always very curious and time is right for a new hobby, I'm just ordering a few books as I type but will look into the one you mention thanks!

I'm not far from Preston, I haven't googled any clubs yet but its on the to do list, I do have a DSLR and would like to use it so that would be a option, suppose I have plenty of time yet to figure everything out before I buy.

Thank you for the reply and the info much appreciated

Scotty
Scotty_

Postby Aratus » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi Scotty

The telescopes you mention are all good ones. I've had an 8" SCT for 11 years and have never felt the need for a different one (except a larger one - naturally!) For that kind of price, you need to know you are serious though. You'll certainly get informed advice here!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Scotty_ » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi Aratus

I know its a big spend and time is on my side as I am in no rush so to speak, I have found a couple of local clubs near me so I think a visit to these will be the next step.

Iv'e noticed that B&H Photo Video across the pond sells the same scopes for same price but in $$$ haven't looked into it yet with the import tax, shipping damage etc but its a bugger we get shafted on the price here for most things.

Thanks for the reply Aratus, Scotty
Scotty_

Postby Aratus » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:56 am

It is moot point in astronomical circles. Prices of astronomical equipment is invariably much more expensive here in the UK than in the US. As you have observed they are often the same price in dollars as they are in GBP. Check up the latest but last I read you need to add 20% VAT on anything over £15, and import duty over £135. (4.2%) There is also 'handling fees' and insurance. As you suggest, the shipping will be greater. That just about wipes out the advantage. US guarentees are also invalid in the UK.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Introductions