Greetings stargazers!

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Greetings stargazers!

Postby stargazy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Greetings stargazers,

I am new to the forum and I am interested in astrophotography, astrophysics, science in general and computing. I am a retired boffin and like to write software with scientific applications. I have just posted some new (free) Python plug-ins for GIMP that are specific to processing astro images. I found them useful, maybe you will too! If interested, get in touch. (I would post the URL, but Auntie thinks my message too spamy! Sorry, just trying to be helpful!)

watch the skies Earthlings!

Stargazy
stargazy

Re: Greetings stargazers!

Postby Aratus » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:49 pm

Hello Stargazy.

The forum software is designed to stop people just coming on, spamming, putting up a web site, submitting dubious photos, etc. and then clearing off again. It is all done automatically and no human person out there is doubting your integrity. It is annoying, but if you perserve and contribute a dozen or so genuine posts over time, you will be free to share links and photos etc. At first I found it bit insulting as well, but the system does seem to do its job. Swing in behind the discussions and you will soon find the system 'trusts' you. :)

Just look around the forum, and see if you have anything to contribute to some of the posts.

There is no such word as 'spamy', of course. It is lazy English, (opinion) and bad spelling (fact). However, I think it rather takes the sting out of the insult by raising a smile. :lol:
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby stargazy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:27 pm

Thank you for your swift reply. I understand your concerns about dubious types exploiting the Forum, so no offence taken. I will see if I can add to some of the discussions. Do you think something on the EU referendum will go down well? :-)

best regards,

stagazy
stargazy

Postby Supercooper » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi there and welcome,

I'm still trying to be 'not spammy'.

One of my posts was banned until I removed the words: "Just think about it!" What's spammy about that?

Eventually by editing and cutting this and that I found out it was that single little sentence!

It's a robot and they're a bit slow on the uptake and quick to point the finger :o)

Good advice above - I've been answering queries and making comments on posts and I'm not getting the message at all now... i've not been here long.

Welcome, have fun.
Barry
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby dave.b » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:55 pm

I'd be interested in learning how to use GIMP more productively.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby dave.b » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:42 pm

Here's the URL Stargazy was unable to share: http://stargazy.weebly.com/pyastro-for-gimp.html
dave.b

Postby Supercooper » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:27 am

Thanks Dave, appreciated... Now if only I could share mine! LOL

I'll get there one day... http://supercooper.jimdo.com

Is it today, i wonder... test. :O)
________________________________________________________________________________________

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

PyAstro stuff

Postby stargazy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks Dave.B for listing the URL of my PyAstro stuff. Hopefully a few more S@N readers will get to try it now!

I note your comments about stacking Moon pictures. The Stack sun layers plug-in from PyAstro could be used for stacking whole pictures of the full moon, but it would be useless for stacking pictures of moon phase, as the algorithm just seeks to maximize overlap of the moon discs. Something more intelligent is clearly required, particularly if what you want to stack is close-up images of a region of the moon. I will give it a thought and add an option to PyAstro if I can.

regards

stargazy
stargazy

Postby Supercooper » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi Stargazy,

I'm now able to post URLs and complete my profile (Why we can't do this immediately is beyond me!) I've only been a member since 14th Feb.

Stick with it and you'll soon have full privileges.

Clear skies, SC

Supercooper

Return to Introductions