Grind your own mirror video

Share practical advice and tips on making your own kit

Grind your own mirror video

Postby wgater » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi everyone,

If you have been reading the latest 'How To' article on grinding your own mirror (in the May 2008 Issue of the magazine) you might find [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqcjgIRb73E][size=3]this video[/size][/url] useful.

It's a 2 minute taster of our new video by Terry Pearce and Simon Lang on how to make your own telescope mirror. The full 40 minute version (a BBC Sky At Night magazine exclusive) is going to be posted on the website soon.
[b][/b]
wgater

RE: Grind your own mirror video

Postby wgater » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:53 am

and the long version of the mirror grinding video is now available on the site [url=http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/mirror_video.asp]here[/url].
wgater

Postby Acario5b9s » Thu May 01, 2008 2:20 am

Will, this is fantastic, it's just what i'v been looking for.
There nothing in the uk regarding mirror grinding and looking at
pictural tuition just dosent fill me with confidence.
Thanks for that.
Regards
Mick
[;)][;)][;)]
Acario5b9s

Postby sallan » Fri May 09, 2008 5:33 pm

Fantastic well done Simon Lang and the Sky at Night Team once again for a very imformative lesson on mirror grinding.

Finished making the telescope in the magazine last week and am really impressed with the results. Sadly bought my mirror from Hands on Optics in America, the mirrors and a set of filters came to the grand total of £160 this although an excellent price I feel have cheated and will grind my own mirror in the near future. especially after seeing this video along with the article in the magazine.
sallan

Postby Chanctonbury » Fri May 09, 2008 8:53 pm

I too watched the video but although I am good with my hands, I don't think this would be for me but I admire those with the patience to do it - I a more of a soldering iron kind of guy!
Chanctonbury

Postby decco15 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:33 pm

The video was excellent, is there other videos which show making the rest of the telescope?
decco15

Postby lukeskywatcher » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:56 am

Seriously, is it not just easier and cheaper to go out and buy a scope.
lukeskywatcher

Postby brianb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:40 am

[quote]Seriously, is it not just easier and cheaper to go out and buy a scope.
[/quote]
Cheaper, no. Easier, yes, but you do get the fun of making it yourself. And you can make mirrors that aren't easy to buy if you have a special project in mind.

brianb

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:53 am

That's dedication for you. I guess you either have it or you dont.

Sorry...............of course HOW could it be cheaper!!!!

You have to build a whole workshop around you with special machines to grind and polish.

I admire people who build their own scopes. Even if i understood the how to of it all, i dont think its a project i would undertake because i'm not good with that kind of labour. I had enough trouble cutting card just to make a solar filter.
lukeskywatcher

Postby dele123 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Fantastic well done Simon Lang and the Sky at Night Team once again for a very imformative lesson on mirror grinding.

Finished making the telescope in the magazine last week and am really impressed with the results. Sadly bought my mirror from Hands on Optics in America, the mirrors and a set of filters came to the grand total of £160 this although an excellent price I feel have cheated and will grind my own mirror in the near future. especially after seeing this video along with the article in the magazine.
good one
dele

dele123

Next

Return to Telescope Making