group tests 'like for like'

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

group tests 'like for like'

Postby pubquiz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:03 pm

I have noticed large discrepancies in the price of some of the contenders in the group tests.

The DSLR's in this months issue being a case in point.

The winning Nikon D90 is twice as dear as it's competitors!

Why wasn't it compared with the Canon 450D body (£479) or even the 40D body (£599)

Even the new 500D which has full HD movie mode (of questionable astro use I know, but the same applies to the Nikon movie mode) is £849 ...dearer than the Nikon but nearer in price difference.

Alternatively use the cheaper Nikon D60 (£309) in the comparisons.

I have no preference to any manufacturers but would like to see a more level playing field in the group tests....also the 'Value for money' box from early issues seems to have disappeared from the verdict panels?
pubquiz

RE: group tests 'like for like'

Postby brianb » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:50 pm

[quote]I have noticed large discrepancies in the price of some of the contenders in the group tests. [/quote]
There are almost equally large discrepancies between the "reccomended retail prices" and the prices that the cameras are actually sold for, too. Canon's RRPs have become totally disconnected from the market....

The real problem with cameras is that handling is very personal, really it's impossible to put numbers on it.

Other magazines have their difficulties in this area, too; just mention "82%" in connection with "Amateur Photographer"; Olympus fanboys (and girls) will suddenly become very defensive, everyone else will burst out laughing as it's become a famous "in joke".

brianb

Postby pubquiz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:20 pm

I agree Brian (assume it's Brian)

I don't have any particular brand loyalty (but realise some can get obsesive about it) having owned cameras from Minolta, Canon, Sony, Panasonic etc ..my DSLR for Astro use (as yet unmodified) is a 450D as I got it for a great price by doing a 'we will beat any local shop price' deal at Curry's.

I suppose a magazine can only list RRP's or they may be accused of shop bias.

It's just in this case the D90 is [u]so much[/u] more expensive than any of the others in the test.

I have just looked the prices of the bodies up in a 'well known high street/on line camera shop' and they are

1) Canon 1000D £349
2) Sony A350 £389
3) Olympus E520 £399
4) Nikon D90 £650

So all pretty close price wise apart from the Nikon

I have no problem if, in doing a group test for more unusual items with limited choice, there is an unavoidable price difference, but when it is for something like DSLR's where there are many suitable for Astro use I think including anything that is over 60% more expensive than the next most expensive competitor is wrong.
pubquiz

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:53 pm

[i][b]I have no problem if, in doing a group test for more unusual items with limited choice, there is an unavoidable price difference, but when it is for something like DSLR's where there are many suitable for Astro use I think including anything that is over 60% more expensive than the next most expensive competitor is wrong. [/b][/i]

BUT not to include it would also be wrong. There are many people out there who can afford to and will buy the most expensive camera. To have the most expensive camera win the review i think IS wrong when there are so many other GREAT cameras out there that cost half the price.........which a LOT more readers can afford.

But the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. If you look at the cameras most people here use for imaging i think you will find that about 60-70% of us use Cannon DSLR's. Not just here though. If you read any article online about astro-imaging....most of them will state that Cannon cameras are the preferred camera of astroimagers. Nikon is second.

So review or no review.................................when it comes to buying a DSLR are you gonna pay £1000 for a camera that does exactly the same thing as a £600-£700 camera?

Not at all.

But as stated above..............its NOT the price..................its how the camera feels in your hand that is MOST important. I looked at many cams before i settled on the 450D. I was so close to buying the 1000D (about 250 euro cheaper then the 450D here) but it just didnt have that "feel" to it that i was after. It felt small and a tad too light in my hand. Almost plasticy. When i picked up the 450D (even without the battery inserted), i knew it was the one for me. It was good and solid (not too heavy). Now after having only used it a half a dozen times it feels like an extention of my arm/hand.

lukeskywatcher

Postby pulsar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:13 am

Well I for one am ecstatically happy with my Canon 350D.
I watched the market for some time weighing up the pro's and con's of many different camera's. Then I read the sky at night group test oh a good while back now but it won and maintained top position for 9 months. So I decided to buy one. An amazing bit of luck came my way at the same time. My mother was working for Peter Jones in Sloane Square London and was coming up to retire at the end of Jan 2008. So I bought it just in time to take advantage of her loyalty discounts and what had originally cost £350 now only cost me £110. See if any DSLR'S are out there for those banana's and i'll surely eat mine.

Now thats how you shop do research and wait for the right time to buy.
[:D][:D][:D][:D]
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

Postby lukeskywatcher » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:33 pm

[i][b]Now thats how you shop do research and wait for the right time to buy.

[/b][/i]You are buying a camera,not playing roulette on the stock market,LOL. But its always good to compare the meerkat.
lukeskywatcher

Postby pulsar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:36 am

When you're dealing with lots of your hard earned cash these days it is a bit like that. You want the best deal possible. I personally never pay full price for anything I always haggle and you'd be surprised how often you can make a killing. The tottenham court road here in London is always ripe for the picking you can get £400 dvd recorders for £100 cash up. I did [:D]
pulsar

Postby lukeskywatcher » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:03 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: pulsar

When you're dealing with lots of your hard earned cash these days it is a bit like that. You want the best deal possible. I personally never pay full price for anything I always haggle and you'd be surprised how often you can make a killing. The tottenham court road here in London is always ripe for the picking you can get £400 dvd recorders for £100 cash up. I did [:D]
[/quote]

I thought Delboy lived in Peckham.
lukeskywatcher

Postby pulsar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Nah! he's right ere mate.[:D][:D][:D]
pulsar

Postby lukeskywatcher » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:56 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: pulsar

Nah! he's right ere mate.[:D][:D][:D]
[/quote]

Yeah i always got a "Jack the lad" feeling about you. Not a bad thing.
lukeskywatcher

Next

Return to First Light and Group Test