Hallo from Broadstairs.

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hallo from Broadstairs.

Postby The Lazy Saint » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:45 am

Hi all.
I am very pleased to be a part of this fantastic hobby. lt is, for me, a whole new world as l have only just started. My retirement present from my wife was a telescope. I think she bought it for me so l wouldn't get under her feet. It seems to have worked as l spend most nights in the garden and my days in bed lol.

So far I have seen, through my telescope, venus, Jupiter and her four galilean moons and Saturn + 4 of her larger moons. This sighting list fully demonstrates my "novice" status but l hope to learn from othe members on this site.

Best wishes to you all. :D
The Lazy Saint

Re: Hallo from Broadstairs.

Postby Aratus » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:47 pm

Hello Lazy Saint

I'm pleased you managed to see some planets, but they won't be very favourable for a while. However, I can assure you that there are plenty of other kinds of objects in the autumn and winter sky to keep you from under your wife's feet!

Welcome!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Hallo from Broadstairs.

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi and welcome.
If you don't already have one, I'd suggest getting a planisphere and some planetarium software for a tablet or phone.
Mrs Gfamily2 located Neptune with binoculars last week using Stellarium. She would have looked for Uranus as well, but our view to the south was a bit obstructed.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Return to Introductions