Has Anyone Used An EOS 450D/550D/1200D Please?

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Has Anyone Used An EOS 450D/550D/1200D Please?

Postby Zippy » Fri May 18, 2018 4:21 am

Hi Guys, I need a Canon DSLR to try out Astro Photography. Since I need Live View to focus the stars, it needs to be at least an EOS 450D. But for double the money, the same dealer can also supply a 550D or 1200D.
But I do not know if the additional expenditure will significantly improve the images I can take or not.

The 450D has an LCD with only 0.23MP, The 1200D has 0.43MP and the 550D has a whopping 1.0MP.
Apart from the 1200D (2014 entry model) being a bit larger and having half as many LCD pixels as the 550D (2010 mid-range model), I see little difference between the two. I presume that despite being 4 years apart they still use the same CMOS sensor?

So my questions are . . . . .
1) If I paid more and got a 550D or a 1200D with Digic 4 processor, would I get a significant improvement compared to a 450D's Digic 3 processor?
2) Does having more LCD pixels make it easier to focus Live View on the night sky?
3) If I went for a Digic 4, other than the physical size and LCD pixels, are there any significant differences between the older (2010) 550D mid-range model and the newer (2014) 1200D entry-range model.
Many thanks, Geo.
Zippy
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:24 pm

Re: Has Anyone Used An EOS 450D/550D/1200D Please?

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:21 pm

Zippy wrote:Hi Guys, I need a Canon DSLR to try out Astro Photography. Since I need Live View to focus the stars, it needs to be at least an EOS 450D. But for double the money, the same dealer can also supply a 550D or 1200D.
But I do not know if the additional expenditure will significantly improve the images I can take or not.

The 450D has an LCD with only 0.23MP, The 1200D has 0.43MP and the 550D has a whopping 1.0MP.
Apart from the 1200D (2014 entry model) being a bit larger and having half as many LCD pixels as the 550D (2010 mid-range model), I see little difference between the two. I presume that despite being 4 years apart they still use the same CMOS sensor?

So my questions are . . . . .
1) If I paid more and got a 550D or a 1200D with Digic 4 processor, would I get a significant improvement compared to a 450D's Digic 3 processor?
2) Does having more LCD pixels make it easier to focus Live View on the night sky?
3) If I went for a Digic 4, other than the physical size and LCD pixels, are there any significant differences between the older (2010) 550D mid-range model and the newer (2014) 1200D entry-range model.
Many thanks, Geo.


Hi - sorry, I can't help much myself, but I would note that if you use a tethered camera (using BYEOS or APT software) you can sidestep the limitations of the LCD viewfinder. Admittedly, adding a laptop makes your set up more complicated, but for getting the best results, using a laptop to help you get focus is likely to have more of an impact than the LCD on the camera.

As I understand it, with Canon cameras the laptop software can actually control the AF motors in the camera lens, so you can get a 'hands free' hence 'wobble free' focusing with a tethered camera with step by step focusing possible.

Not sure how helpful this will be - but as I see you've asked on another forum, hopefully you'll get more response from a bigger audience elsewhere. :)
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: Has Anyone Used An EOS 450D/550D/1200D Please?

Postby Zippy » Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Thank you Gfamily,
I knew about much of what you wrote but not about remotely controlling the AF.
You contribution is most appreciated, just as it always is. Yes I posted here after over 48 hours of getting numerous reads but no replies in the other forum. I was most surprised not to find someone with first hand experience as I thought these Canon models were actually quite popular amongst Astro Photographers. But today I did get 3 replies from people with experience of one of the models.

This forum was my preferred one as I subscribed to the magazine and UK is well represented. Plus my daughter is just starting a job in Astronomy Research where dozens of her colleagues are most probably magazine subscribers and members of this forum too. Sadly I have been forced to use the other forum as I am heavily restricted to what I can post here. As a junior member I am restricted to how many words I can start a thread off with. Strangely if I start the thread I can repost in the same thread with more text. But to start a thread or reply to someone else's I have to keep post shorter.
I cannot post images. Cannot post URL's.
Restricted what words I can use and have to keep substituting them and editing text until post is finally accepted by the system.
I am optimistic however that this will improve with time though.
Zippy
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:24 pm

Re: Has Anyone Used An EOS 450D/550D/1200D Please?

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:37 pm

Zippy wrote:Thank you Gfamily,
I knew about much of what you wrote but not about remotely controlling the AF.
You contribution is most appreciated, just as it always is. Yes I posted here after over 48 hours of getting numerous reads but no replies in the other forum. I was most surprised not to find someone with first hand experience as I thought these Canon models were actually quite popular amongst Astro Photographers. But today I did get 3 replies from people with experience of one of the models.


The problem with asking about comparisons is that a lot of people will think they can't give a 'serious' response unless they have two or more of the models to compare. But there will be plenty of people who think they can jump in with specific advice with a lot less experience (hmmm :| )

Plus my daughter is just starting a job in Astronomy Research where dozens of her colleagues are most probably magazine subscribers and members of this forum too.

Yay for the cool daughter! But possibly optimistic about young people and magazine subscriptions :)

Sadly I have been forced to use the other forum as I am heavily restricted to what I can post here. As a junior member I am restricted to how many words I can start a thread off with. ...
cannot post images. Cannot post URLs.
I am optimistic however that this will improve with time though.

It will.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: Has Anyone Used An EOS 450D/550D/1200D Please?

Postby Zippy » Sat May 19, 2018 12:01 am

Hey Gfamily,
It just has improved.
I just been allowed to post my first URL for John who is a new member and struggling to do anything with his scope. AWESOME.

Yes you might be right, people of her generation are so tech savvy that they probably only subscribe to online magazines. But I assume that at least some of the professors at her institution will be nearer our generation and actually read real paper magazines?
That said I would be surprised if the SkyAtNight magazine was not downloadable in digital format for subscribed members?
Zippy
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:24 pm

Re: Has Anyone Used An EOS 450D/550D/1200D Please?

Postby Gfamily2 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:12 am

Zippy wrote:Hey Gfamily,
It just has improved.
I just been allowed to post my first URL for John who is a new member and struggling to do anything with his scope. AWESOME.

Yes you might be right, people of her generation are so tech savvy that they probably only subscribe to online magazines. But I assume that at least some of the professors at her institution will be nearer our generation and actually read real paper magazines?
That said I would be surprised if the SkyAtNight magazine was not downloadable in digital format for subscribed members?

Back when I was a student, one of our professors was reputed to have a bedside microfiche reader, to let him keep up with the Astrophysical Journal and the Monthly Notices of the RAS - but that was a generation before the internet.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: Has Anyone Used An EOS 450D/550D/1200D Please?

Postby Aratus » Fri May 25, 2018 6:55 pm

In my experience with a few Canon cameras, a lot the 'smart' features on newer cameras are useless for astrophotography. I used a 500D for many years and got some great images from it. I now also use a 1300D, which has greater resolution, and a larger ISO.
I recommend you give Backyard EOS a trial run. It makes using the Canon so much easier for astrophotography.

https://www.otelescope.com/
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:17 pm
Location: East Lincolnshire


Return to Equipment Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests