Have you seen the Flame nebula?

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Have you seen the Flame nebula?

Postby big dipper » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:26 pm

By 'see' I mean through an eyepiece (as opposed to using a laptop & CCD camera). This object should be considerably easier to spot than its neighbour IC434 - but I must confess that even through my 11" SCT from a city sky, I have never been able to detect it. I managed to home in on it for the image below merely by using my setting circles.

So I was wondering whether those of you with darker skies have been able to locate it visually. If so, what equipment were you using?

big dipper

RE: Have you seen the Flame nebula?

Postby les » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:43 pm

HI Andy,
I have a dark rural sky and in good seeing I can see the flame nebula quite easily with a 8" Helios reflector.Ive not yet seen the neighbouring horsehead.I hoped with my new 12" Revalation dobbo I would see it but no luck so far. The flame is obvious with 12".Ive heared it nicknamed the Tanktrack that's a good description.
Regards Les.
les

Postby big dipper » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:43 pm

Thanks for that reply Les. My skies must be really lousy. Either that or I need new contact lenses! [;)]
big dipper

Postby les » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:00 am

HI Andy,
I'm aware of your problems with LP, it's a bl**dy disgrace. I visited your website, your photo's are amazing especially with problems you have, keep them coming.
All the best Les.
les

Postby cumbrianwolf » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:16 am

Its a let down of our eyes as some people pick up on more sublte details and colour than others, If you have freinds around and your showing the sky to them pick a distinct object and ask them to look at it for around 30 seconds and then describe it to you and compare the differnaces.
Our eyes are a let down in the dark.
Ignore my spelling errors was never a grammatical person!
cumbrianwolf

Postby big dipper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:33 am

Thanks for the kind words Les. Much appreciated.

Wolf you are so correct about our eyes. Wouldn't it be great if we could see nebulae & galaxies etc. in all the glorious colours that we do in images. And don't worry about grammar. This isn't University Challenge! [:D]
big dipper

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches