Switch to mobile style

Hello All

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hello All

Postby Graeme1858 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Hello all.

I've just signed up here to see what's happening!

It's my birthday soon and I'm getting a Celestron Nexstar Evolution 9.25!!! I've had a 10" dob for a number of years and a 3" EQ before that. So I'm planning on doing some imaging in the future. I have quite a bit of experience overall but I'm a complete newbie to the world of astro imaging. As a Sky at Night Magazine subscriber of a number of years I am a fan of the binocular tour and the deep sky tour and look forward to finding out what an ASCOM file is!

Regards

Graeme
Graeme1858

Re: Hello All

Postby Aratus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:32 pm

Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun with your new telescope. Let us know how you get on.

Once you have installed ASCOM drivers a whole load of astronomical imaging systems will work with it, and you can then safely forget all about it, and let it do all the work. :)

Welcome!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Graeme1858 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks Aratus

I'm currently reading up on imaging. When I get the new scope I'll get used to viewing with it first!

Shame about the clouds last night, I missed the long anticipated eclipse!

Regards

Graeme
Graeme1858

Postby Aratus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:28 am

Yes! I've had continuous clear skies at sunset over the last few weeks, and on the 27th it decided not only to cloud over, but give me 5 hours of thunderstorms. At about midnight the skies cleared!

It has to be said that imaging requires a lot of extra setting up, and it is a lot easier just to put the eye to the eyepiece!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:54 pm

I'll be doing lots of eye to the eyepiece initially! Imaging will follow on eventually. To be honest, I signed up here on the Sky at Night forum hoping to get some guidance on controlling my new goto scope, because I've only ever had a manual scope before, for the monthly Sky at Night magazine deep sky tours. But I can't believe how quite it is! I was, apparently, naively, expecting Lintots, Pococks, Lawrences and Culsures! Is there no connection with the forum to the magazine contributors? Is it always so quiet?
Graeme1858

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi Graeme
It is pretty quiet, true; but those of us that are here have a bit of knowledge between us, so we can offer advice if we're asked.
Conversely, we'd really appreciate you sharing your experiences with the rest of us.
Sadly, I don't think any of us are S@N contributors - I'm pretty sure I'm not anyway!

Lovely to have you with us, do stick around.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Perhaps posting on the S@N forum makes everyone an S@N contributor? :D
Graeme1858

Postby Aratus » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Graeme1858 wrote: But I can't believe how quite it is! I was, apparently, naively, expecting Lintots, Pococks, Lawrences and Culsures! Is there no connection with the forum to the magazine contributors? Is it always so quiet?

On the surface I agree it does seem a little strange for the magazine contributors not to be wading in, but actually they probably have little time to be involved in what could be a very time consuming committment. The folk around here may not have the famous names, however, when it comes to knowledge and experience of practical astronomy, the quality of the replies seems to be adequate for most queries :D

Yes, it is quiet, but it needn't be like that if more people were brave enough to post in their projects, observations and comments. It could be a lot more interesting.
Aratus

Postby Graeme1858 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:02 am

I wasn't really expecting to meet fame and fortune! :D Just a bit more activity from a forum linked to such a popular magazine. I'm guessing Facebook is to blame? I was once a member of a fish keeping forum that switched to Facebook so I don't do that any more! Looking forward to hanging around here though!
Graeme1858

Postby Aratus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:17 pm

I believe that forums (fora?) are not as popular as they used to be for the very reason you've mentioned. This forum has several advantage over some in that there are no 'I'm in charge here' type moderators, (actually no active moderators at all!) and the other is that we don't get many 'unconventional' types. When we do get them, and no one rises to their bait, they tend to just go away. I find the folk here very tolerant, and happy to accept a wide range of opinion without acrimony. 8-)
Aratus

Next

Return to Introductions