Hello from Grimsby

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hello from Grimsby

Postby PurpleStar » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:22 pm

Hello, Just received my first telescope for my 40th birthday yesterday. I've wanted one for many many years. I have a Skywatcher Explorer 150p, Mount EQ3-2. Haven't got it aligned yet, can't wait to use it. Any tips and help would be appreciated.
PurpleStar

Re: Hello from Grimsby

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

If you're looking for advice, I'd start by practising setting it up and doing a pretend alignment indoors first. That way you'll be used to how it moves around etc.
Also during the day, get the scope lined up with a distant aerial, streetlight or tree and then get the same target centred in the finderscope. Having a well aligned finder is always a help.

Dress warmly, get a red light so you don't spoil your night vision (a poundstore rear bike light is the cheapest way of getting a red light).
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby ThePeltonian » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:04 pm

>waving from Barnsley<
ThePeltonian

Postby Aratus » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:58 pm

Hello Purplestar.

Monthly star maps are useful. Try to identify one of the constellations everytime you go out. This is a good time of the year to start with some fine, bright objects about. Again find a suitable object in a book or magazine, and see if you can find it. The moon is back again in the evening sky. Jupiter is about in the east, late in the evening. Keep an observing log, which you won't regret in the years to come.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby dave.b » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:48 pm

And make the most of the Orion Nebula, M42, before it's lost to the spring sky.
dave.b

Return to Introductions