Hello from Northampton, UK

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hello from Northampton, UK

Postby baldeagle40 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:41 pm

Good evening everyone. I am new to astronomy but have always been interested in science and "how its done" so to speak. I have built the Orrery from Eaglemoss and I am mid way through the Tellurion. There is shed loads to read and since I am retired I have more time than others. I find it fascinating reading about the Philosophers and astronomers of yesteryear, especially when one could lose their head for saying the Earth went round the Sun rather than what some perceived.
As I am a full time carer and my back garden has public lighting close by and is surrounded by plenty of houses I am not quite sure what kind of astronomer I shall be--at the moment it looks like I will be an armchair one. However, life goes on and it is an infinite subject after all.
Best wishes to all.
baldeagle40

Re: Hello from Northampton, UK

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:56 am

Hi, and welcome.
Fortunately, there are plenty of resources online where you can find out more. A good place to start might be the 'Crash Course Astronomy' videos made with Phil Plait.
Here's the series page on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... yiSFuh0mIL

Being a carer can make things difficult, but if you are able to arrange cover for occasional evenings, the Northampton Natural History Society has an Astronomy Section who meet on Monday evenings twice a month. I'm sure you'll be welcome, even if you can only join in occasionally. Finding like minded people is great, and you can get inspired by what others are doing.
http://www.nnhs.info/astro/
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Re: Hello from Northampton, UK

Postby Aratus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:52 pm

baldeagle40 wrote:Good evening everyone. I am new to astronomy but have always been interested in science and "how its done" so to speak. I have built the Orrery from Eaglemoss and I am mid way through the Tellurion. There is shed loads to read and since I am retired I have more time than others. I find it fascinating reading about the Philosophers and astronomers of yesteryear, especially when one could lose their head for saying the Earth went round the Sun rather than what some perceived.
As I am a full time carer and my back garden has public lighting close by and is surrounded by plenty of houses I am not quite sure what kind of astronomer I shall be--at the moment it looks like I will be an armchair one. However, life goes on and it is an infinite subject after all.
Best wishes to all.

Hello, and well done over your constructions. I'm into armillary spheres myself. I do hope you find opportunities to get out under some dark skies - occasionally at least.

However, I must challenge your statement about people losing their head because they held the belief that the earth went around the sun. Can you give an example of anyone who was beheaded by the judicial system for holding such a belief?
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Introductions