Hello from warrington

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hello from warrington

Postby regmeister » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:56 pm

Just taking the opportunity to say hi to anyome reading this and introduce myself as a new member. I have been interested in astronomy all my life and finally at the ripe age of 36, got myself a telescope (Skywatcher 130P) about 6 months ago to start getting serious. I am getting out as often as I can and am becoming more and more familiar with the night skies and all its offerings (well some of them anyway!!).
I do have a couple of questions that I'd like advice on but I'll post these in the relevant forum to get the right audience.

Regards
Reg
regmeister

RE: Hello from warrington

Postby uplooker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:30 pm

Hi Reg,

Welcome to the forum - enjoy
uplooker

Postby bluemidget76 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Hiya Reg! I'm a fellow newcomer and Warringtonian!

How is the Skywatcher 130P?

have been looking into getting a telescope and that's one of the models I've come across. I was surprised to see how affordable a starter telescope could be. I was expecting mega-bucks!

All the Best.

Neil.
bluemidget76

Postby _ad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi Reg, welcome! I have a SkyWatcher 130P as well, seems there's lots of us around :-)

I'm planning to get out very soon with my Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD web cam as I've just found the cam fits the telescope eyepieces perfectly, am rather excited to try out some photography!

bluemidget76: I highly recommend it! I was unsure before purchasing as it seemed too cheap but I can assure you it performs very well.
_ad

Postby bluemidget76 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:56 pm

cheers ad! :D
bluemidget76

Postby regmeister » Thu May 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi Neil.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on holiday. I am really pleased with the 130P and you're right its affordability makes it appealing. I've managed to view a number of objects so far including Jupiter, Saturn, the Moon (of course), a number of star clusters and I even located galaxies M81 & M82 a couple of weeks ago. The range of accessories that come with it are good and I've just got a Celestron Neximage so I can start astrophotography (as soon as these damn clouds disappear!!).

Again, I'm very pleased with this scope and would recommend it to anyone as a first scope to buy.

Reg
regmeister

Postby regmeister » Thu May 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi _aD

I just got a Celestron Neximage for mine and am too looking forward to getting some pgtography done!

Reg
regmeister

Postby bluemidget76 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:16 am

Hiya Reg,

Glad the scope is working out for you. the things you've seen so far sound impressive! Do you know of a good spot in Warrington for observing or do you use your scope at home? I live in a terrace and it's street lights galore !!

all the best,

Neil.
bluemidget76

Postby regmeister » Fri May 07, 2010 1:03 pm

I've only been using my scope in the back garden so far which is set back off the street a little. There are definite light pollution effects from the the number of main roads nearby though but so far it hasn't affected my viewing too badly although it does cause some difficulties when trying to locate objects lower on the horizon. I'm not aware of any good viewing spots in Warrington and I'm always on the lookout when I'm driving around etc.

I've done some internet searches in case there are other Warrington locals who have found good viewing sites although as yet I haven't found any. It is likely there are some decent places around nearby but it'll probably mean travelling out of town a bit. I would like to be able to go to a decent darker sky site nearby where viewing conditions are better and if I do find / hear of anywhere I'll keep you posted.

Reg
regmeister

Postby pete_taylor » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:20 am

Hi all,

I am new to this site and to astronomy so please be nice! I have been interested in the stars and planets since primary school but only recently decided to take it up as a hobby.
I am turning 24 soon and so I have just ordered myself a better telescope, nothing special, 70mm bresser refractor, and some decent eyepieces, a new barlow lens and a star diagonal, so am hoping to put these to good use with autumn and winter heading our way.

I too am from Warrington and struggle for places to view, however, the top of hill cliffe, stockton heath doesn't seem to have too much light pollution, and a lot of the open land near appleton and stretton are usually dark, as is birchwood forest park.

Does anyone know if there is an astronomy club that serves warrington? Could do with experienced stargazers to help me along my way as my knowledge is fairly poo if i'm being honest. Alternatively, would anyone be interested in setting up a warrington/cheshire/north west astronomy club? I am fairly certain there is a lot of interest in the subject, but as seems to be the way here in blighty, not a lot of facilities or societies to help the newbies on their way.

Hope you are all well,
Pete Taylor
pete_taylor

Next

Return to Introductions