Help aligning finders using a dual finder bracket

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Help aligning finders using a dual finder bracket

Postby Dinnerdog » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:18 pm

I recently purchased a dual finder bracket (Orion Dual Finder Scope Mounting Bracket) to allow me to have fit an RDS and Skywatcher 9x50 finder to my Skywatcher 130P, however I am unable to align neither the RDS nor 9x50 with the view through my scope.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any advice on how I might over come the issue?
Dinnerdog

Re: Help aligning finders using a dual finder bracket

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Are you having problems aligning altogether, so you can't even get them lined up during the day, or is the problem one of getting them aligned with stars at night?

Can you describe what you're doing now, and we can see if we can help.

Alternatively, you could see if you have a local Astronomy Society - they'll almost certainly be able to help.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Dinnerdog » Tue May 01, 2018 9:17 am

I'm having issues with the initial alignment during the day.

First I'm aiming my RDS at a target a good distance away, I then align my scope on to the same target. However, when I come to realign the RDS I don't have enough adjustment (left to right) to "sync" up my RDS and scope.

This is also true of the 9x50 finder, no matter which configuration I add the RDS and finder to the dual bracket (RDS on left, finder on right or vice versa).
Dinnerdog

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Dinnerdog wrote:I'm having issues with the initial alignment during the day.

First I'm aiming my RDS at a target a good distance away, I then align my scope on to the same target. However, when I come to realign the RDS I don't have enough adjustment (left to right) to "sync" up my RDS and scope.

This is also true of the 9x50 finder, no matter which configuration I add the RDS and finder to the dual bracket (RDS on left, finder on right or vice versa).

How annoying.
Have you tried loosening the screw that secures the dual mount and seeing if you can get a decent alignment when it's loose? If so, you may be able to wedge something in the mounting plate to keep it in the right position.

If that doesn't work, see if you can loosen the screws fixing the plate to the 130P and see if you can move that around to get a good alignment. Then see if you can re-tighten the screws in the right position.

If neither of the finders can be aligned, can you take the scope back and get one that's fit for purpose.

But, as suggested before, if you have the chance to take it along to a local Astronomy Society, they may well be able to sort you out.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Return to Equipment Advice